Garmin 178C

I have a Garmin 498c combo that works great. The only thing that I'm finding is that Garmin is really lacking on fresh water charts. They are excelent in the ocean and coastal waters. I 'm finding that Lowrance seems to have the best and most fresh water charts and are also a good unit.I'm researching them for a friend right now and will let you know what I find. Where are you fishing now and where might you fish in the future? good luck, Bob

I usually fish lakes in North & South Carolina,I had another model Garmin before, and it didn't have the lakes I fish either, you say Lowrance has better coverage? I guess I need to do more research, thanks

I have the garmin 398C. It has all the lakes in the U.S. I also bought the bluechart card for my area of California. Now I have every lake plus San Francisco to Mexico in detail. Not sure if they still make the 398 anymore. It works perfectly for what I use it for--fishing on the delta and playing in the lakes in the summer. The lake detail is really great.

rrweather do you have the # of the chip for the lakes so i can look it up or did it come pre loaded? The only one I can find that has Maine on it only has lake Sebago. Not so good. I checked the map for the northeast and fishing hotspots but they are the same. I also called Garmin and they were not all that helpful. It seemed they are not interested in the Maine lakes area. Maybe it was just the person I talked with. thanks Bob

The 398 comes preloaded with the lakes. When I was considering either the 398 (lakes preloaded) and the 498 (coasts preloaded), I couldn't find the lakes on a bluechart either. I pretty much had to go with the 398 to get the lakes, with the chip to get the coasts. I don't know why garmin doesn't have the lakes on a card.

CRIMAR30,
I use the Garmin 178C on my 170CC. I fish/boat salt water. The detail of the Blue chart data card is great! I can't advise on the data cards for inland lakes. I have been well pleased with both the sounder and plotter functions of the 178C.I can run WOT with no distortion on the sounder screen. It also is sunlight readable. If you do not have a T-top or bimini, you need to make sure the unit you get will be readable in the bright sunlight.Good luck.
John D.

I have the garmin 276c and love it. I have installed bluechat on it and it works great. Garmin support has been great for any questions.

Garmin 276

Hey,
Humbolt county, you're in great fishing waters,for salmon and crab,too!Do you just fish saltwater, or lakes,too? I guess now that I'm on the east coast, asking you about lakes on your gps would be pretty useless, the question was, are the Southeast lakes on the 276c.

Thanks

I fish both salt and fresh water. The 191 is great for both. I can take so big water and is small enough for the lakes. I have not used the 276 for the lakes yet. I have the blue chart for salt water but have not go the inland lakes yet. The nice part about the 276c is that it is portable and can be switched from your boat to your car in seconds. It comes with the mount for the boat but you can buy one for the car and you can get a speaker for it for directions like in the fancy cars. For the money and the feautures I foud the 276c to be the best for me. I would have to recomend it.

Back