Hand held GPS

rdrsteve

Registered Member
I am looking for suggestions on a hand held GPS for a upcoming trip to the keys in march. I have a 17cc and want to explore the gulf side of the keys. We are staying at sugarloaf key KOA. Been looking at Garmin76 and don't really want to spend more than $200. Anybody have any suggestions?

I have a boat mount GPS and I have a handheld for backup. I have a garmin rhino 120. I love it. You can also use it as a FRS radio. It has lots of features and internal memory so you can down load charts and maps to it. Hnad held gps units are hard to use while driving I would recoment a boat mounted unit. I have a Garmin 276c. It has internal antenna and is portable for use in the car for auto navigation. It is a good unit that you could use as a handheld unit if you wanted since it is portable.

I too use a Garmin handheld for a backup in a ditchbag. It is the Legend. Just see if you can get a waterproof model and it is nice to have the same compatable brand as you may want to move up to a Garmin plotter/sounder in the future and use their "blueCharts" program to manage waypoints, etc. If you like Lowrance, go that route, etc.

Lucky dog, going to the Keys in March, I'll be heading to Montana, no boating till April at least for me.

I use the Lowrance Ifinder H2O. It is waterproof and the hotmaps are excellent for detailed lake maps. It is just under $200 and has worked very well. It has a 12V plug for use on the boat so you don't have to keep changing batteries.

I use a Garmin GPS 72 and bought a power/data cord that I wired across to my Garmin fishfinder (250C) so they "Talk" I can display selected items on the FF screen and also set waypoints from the fishfinder.

This also saves the batteries, the 72 is the low end non mapping unit, but for me and the type of fishing I do and the inshore navagation it's used for it is the perfect unit for me.

Back