170 Trailer Bunk Question...

cdaniel76

Registered Member
City
Slidell
When I took my recently purchased 1999 Logic 17DC out for it's first run under my ownership, I noticed I had difficulty lining up the bow with the trailer upon trying to get back on the trailer.

I looked at the specs for the bunks that are provided on this site and noticed that the two center bunks should be 12 ft long and the two outer bunks are 8 ft long, however, my EZloader trailer, that's a 1999 also so I believe it came with the boat, has four 8 foot bunks.

Are the the bunk support specs for a 1999 Logic and a new model Triumph different? Should I look into refitting the trailer with longer center bunks both for support and to help me line the bow up? Or can I get some sort of bow guide that I can put on the trailer to help me center it, but doesn't touch the hull once the boat is loaded? Something like the picture below?

40444.gif

Probably not a concern...

Greetings CD,

I have found that if the trailer is a bit too far back in the water, the boat tends to float about and can be hard to line up.

You may want to experiment a bit moving the trailer in and out of the water to see what works best for you.

The most important thing is to make sure the bunks extend just beyond the stern; the stern should be supported.

See attached photo.

Attachments

• P1010021.jpg
    P1010021.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 20
CD,
I agree with Barry about the stern being properly supported, but I would say the you should change the two center bunks to the 12 ft long ones. The extra 4 ft will center the boat on the trailer and give the hull the support it needs further up to the bow area. Just my 2 cents worth.

Double your money...

Jim,

I think your suggestion was worth more than two cents. :D

I would add the longer bunks and I would also consider moving the hull further forward on the trailer by moving the wench stand more forward IF you find that the tongue weight is too light. That is unless you want to start moving the axle around to re-balance the load?

http://mfile.akamai.com/12689/wmv/b...12689/_dld/suzuki/suzukitongueweight_0300.asx

In addition, I would also add the support you are talking about and had one put under the bow of my 190 JUST to help support it even more ;) The more you cradle these boats the less chance of issues later on AND it helps in the loading and unloading of them each time you go to use it.

Also the use of guide on supports that have PVC pipe covering them so they can spin / roll as you go to load up and mounted as far aft on the trailer as possible, is another low coast trailer upgrade that you will find comes in "very" handy when loading in cross winds :D

I checked with the factory on your question and here was their response:
Your two center bunks should be longer and I would suggest contacting EZ Loader directly to make sure the trailer you have was originally designed for our boat. They are great to work with and will provide you a lot information and help. As a general note when loading your boat onto the trailer; make sure the top 3 or 4" of the fenders are showing when you back the trailer into the water. Too deep and the boat floats over the trailer making it difficult to load. Too shallow and you will have to work harder than necessary to get the boat fully loaded on the trailer.

Back