$1790 Quote from Trailer shop to replace disk brakes, actuator and some bolts

Diverdown

Registered Member
City
Georgetown
The disk brakes on the EZ Loader trailer I purchased with my 191 F&S were not working so I brought them to a local shop. The trailer is an '06 purchased in '07 by the original user and barely used (the motor on the boat only had 29 certified hours on it). It was sitting in the Florida heat for quite some time and the oil in the surge coupler activator well was empty with and what was remaining in the oil well was all congealed and chunky. The brakes look like they are in decent shape but rusty from lack of use and disks and pads look good to me, so I was thinking that I would try to use some solvent and bleed the brake lines with the solvent to clear out any gunk and then fill the oil well to remove the solvent and bleed that through. The trailer is aluminum and has no rust but some of the bolts are disintegrating (what is the deal with EZ Loader putting on crap hardware?) Any suggestions on maintenance or how to repair the trailer would be much appreciated. Also a good place to get parts online. Thanks for your help.

Replace all the lines. (I used rubber with stainless fittings) Get the new brake line kit from West Marine or other. flush the calipers, flush the actuator clean everything up. put new pads and only use stainless steel bolts or zip ties. Use a thread coating called Tef-Gel. Fill with new fluid, bleed and your good to go. If any of the parts are shot, you can get them cheap on Ebay. All in all, about 300 bucks. Don't go to Easyloader and don't go to a brake shop. The parts are very common and easily replaced anywhere and the system is super simple. Just don't try to save rusted clogged junk. A tiny rust particle flakes off later and clogs the whole system rendering it inoperative. It's not worth it.

Back