195 CC & Lights Not Working - Yikes!

john_brennan

Registered Member
State
MA
Hi All,

Just got to say, love this forum, I have learned so much as a new boat owner. Keep up the great work to all you who provide answers.

My navigation lights and select other electrical parts do not work, never have - yes I was dumb enough to not have EVERYTHING checked in the excitement of buying a boat.

For example (see attached picture) ... after installing the winterized batteries yesterday (yes they were on a charger and work great) and looking for blown fuses or anything that would cause the power not to make it this light switch, I found nothing obvious. I have a multimeter that I used on those two wires shown in the picture - - Nothing. I looked at the wiring schematic from forum,and tried to trace that back - no luck.

This courtesy light is not getting power no mater what switch I turn on from the console or battery switch location, although i am not sure the console switches turns on that light anyway, as it is a push to turn on style light. Regardless - no juice, so makes no sense to replace the light if there is no power to begin with.

Where does that power come from that sources this light? I only found one in-line fuse inside the console, and it was fine. Thoughts??

I do know some of the breakers behind the user control panel do not work and I will replace the ones that don't seem to reset (maybe will replace all of them while I am in there). Here is the list of electrical stuff not working (not to pile on, but really need some help)

- Front Red / Green Navigation light
- Top of boat white navigation light
- Both courtesy lights on the bottom of the center console, each side
- Fish well water intake pump

Any help from any of you experts would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Easter to all, thanks in advance

John from Glosta

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Good Afternoon and Happy Easter!
Most boats, the 1st two items are tied into the same 3 way switch. I would check that switch connections and make sure it is not all eaten alive from the elements? A little WD40 spayed on them and into the switch, might help clean up the contacts long enough to show that is were the point of failure resides.

And I would be half tempted to do that on the entire switch panel. Bet you will find a loose ground or loose / crud on some of the contacts and wire connections as the cause for many of these issues. Here is another discussion that may help lead you through some of the other places to look:

We also have an entire section on these types of repairs and upgrades located in this targeted forum located here:

Hope this helps, and do let us know how you make out? :)

Dave

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
Have to admit, the electrical system seems to be a weak point on our boats. Honestly, if I were buying one used, the first thing I would consider doing would be to redo (or at least refresh) all the house wiring. You might try to systematically go through all the connections and clean them all well. You can usually figure that the Deutsch connectors (such as inline connectors to pumps and sensors) are okay, unless they look like they've been tampered with. It's the connections to the terminal blocks, both positive and ground, where you would concentrate your efforts. Also the lightbulb holders themselves are subject to corrosion. I've replaced almost all my circuit breakers with Blue Sea breakers.

If many of your connections look like the one in your picture, I'm not at all surprised that you're encountering problems. Once you get it all cleaned up and working again, coat the terminals with a dielectric grease to help seal out the elements.

As to your fishwell pump, are you sure it's not running? I used to have a lot of trouble getting it to prime. I would run my raw water washdown pump for a few minutes and the well pump would start to work. Not sure if you have the washdown on your boat, as it was offered as optional equipment.

Last edited:

john_brennan

Registered Member
State
MA
Good suggestions guys - really appreciate it. I did look at the terminal distribution block and all looked ok, but never thought about corrosion under the terminals.

I think I will start with the 3 way switch and breakers. Regarding breakers, do you happen to know if all of those 6 or so resettable breakers on the front console are the same ratings, or are they all different. Maybe you have a model # of the blue sea breaker?

Thx, John

Harper

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
Last edited:

john_brennan

Registered Member
State
MA
Thank you Mike. The user manual is not that great - I did forget to look there for the fuse ratings, nice reminder.

Anyone know where I can get a new compatible oval overhead light like the picture that started this thread. ?

Harper

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
John, I replaced the overhead light with an LED rail light from Lumitec. http://lumiteclighting.com/product/rail2-utility-light/?application=marine

It required installing an SPST switch on the console. It looks like they don't make the exact light that i got anymore. Mine is white dimming, red dimming. All controlled with a single simple off/on switch. But I'm sure you'd be real happy with the warm white dimming option. That oval aluminum mounting pad is still up there on the T-top, but I can live wth that. It's just so much more light than was provided by the original light.

And if you watch the video in the link, you'll see a lot more options there, too.