195 DC On board charger install

Carnivorous Habit

Registered Member
State
Virginia
Has anyone installed an on board charger on a 195 DC? I purchased a NOCO Genius 20 amp 2 bank charger. I am thinking of installing it in the battery compartment forward of the batteries on the port side compartment wall. I plan to add two additional batteries for a bow mounted trolling motor forward of this location. My boat stays covered when not in use and I generally leave the hatches open about an inch for ventilation and to cut down on mold and crud forming in those compartments. Just wondering where any of you may have installed yours on the 195 DC.

Thanks!

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
To bad you already have a charger, we have a excellent Site Partner (Sentry) that has extended some nice savings on their equipment to our Members ;)

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
I have a ProMariner Pro Sport dual charger on my 195CC, mounted in the console near the batteries. If you have the room the charger should be fine there. Adequate ventilation is a good idea, especially if your batteries are conventional lead acid types. Maintenance-free AGM batteries are you best bet.

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I don't have the 195 DC, but on my 215cc I mounted the charger in the console right down next to the batteries. They were lead acid group 27's. In my 235c, it is mounted again right next to the batteries down low in the console. These are group 31 AGM's. I have not had charger overheat issues, or any other issues for that matter.

Just follow the instructions as far as mounting it properly (probably horizontally) and leave a little room for the cooling fins.

Carnivorous Habit

Registered Member
State
Virginia
Thanks guys, my biggest concern was not being above the batteries, per the manufacturer instructions. Your advice is right on point, so I ended up mounting it forward of the batteries, still left room for two more for the trolling motor when I add it. I may add an external plug at the rear, but that may require a little extension for the two plugs to meet, not a problem. I have lead acid batteries but these Interstate Megatron deep cycle , dual purpose are the original batteries and still going strong . Hoping this addition will add a few more years to them...10 and counting!
Thanks for the responses!