195CC gas tank drain or siphon

sea monkey

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MA
I bought a 2006 195CC earlier this year that I'm now winterizing for the first time. I'm unable to siphon gas from the tank to empty it. If I attempt to siphon from the filling neck, I'm unable to draw any gas out. I've read some posts that suggest there could be an anti-siphoning valve on the tank (when siphoning from the fill neck?)

I then tried disconnecting the fuel line at the engine and used the squeeze bulb. I'm able to remove a small amount of gas with each squeeze, but continued siphoning does not begin. Could the fuel/water separator be preventing gas removal in this way?

If unable to remove the gas, maybe I'll just treat it with a stabilizer and leave it sit over the winter. Not my preferred way to go...

Does anyone have experience with siphoning gas from this model?

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
Republic of Texas
I've not tried siphoning, but have emptied the tank with the primer bulb. I knew it only had a few gallons left in it. I think to siphon, you might have better luck tapping in before any filters or the primer bulb. Then make sure you have the hose extended below the hull. The tank sits pretty low in the hull. I've considered taking a square of plywood and mounting a 12V fuel pump, the external kind that we used on carbureted cars, connecting the suction line to the primer bulb, and having wires that could be clamped to a battery as a means of emptying the tank. Beats the heck out of siphoning. I considered this not particularly for the purpose of emptying the tank for winter, but as a source of gasoline should I ever need it for a generator. Since I've now converted that generator to propane, I dropped the idea.

I would not hesitate to leave a tank FULL of treated NON-ethanol gas over the winter. Having it full would likely put the vent line connection to the tank below the fuel level (with boat level or slightly bow-low), thus exposing the full tank to little exposure to outside air. And the non-ethanol fuel will stabilize better and remain usable longer than ethanol-laced gasoline. I'm not crazy about the idea of storing gasohol over winter. But that's just me. I don't use the stuff in my boat or power tools.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
Republic of Texas
I, too, am a big fan of StarTron. Use it regularly.