2002 Yamaha 115 4 stroke

TreyOakley16

Registered Member
State
NC
Hey all! I am new to the forum and a first time boat owner. 2002 Triumph 190 Bay with a 2002 Yamaha 115 4 stroke outboard. I have looked in many places but haven't seen anything regarding my issue. I have replaced all 4 injectors, the thermostat and water pump. Today we went out and the motor started and ran perfectly. The issues only presented themselves after we stopped for a swim and then restarted the boat to go to the next spot. Each time within 1 minute the motor would sputter and lose power. I would pump the priming bubble 5 or 6 times and the motor would come back to life with no further issues. This happened 5 times today, exactly the same way... Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Trey

Hot Soak type of problems can be hard to find for sure...

I would...
  1. Drain off and make sure all the seals at the fuel water separator are in good shape.
  2. Check the anti siphon valve to the fuel tank. Had to replace that on my 04 190 for near the same issue (mine was failing while trying to load her back on the trailer) and it is not easy to get at either. Took out the factory one that was not high quality, and had the shop install a if I recall correct a metal / bronze one.
  3. Clean and resecure all grounds on the engine block.
Hope this helps?
Dave

New primer bulb too

Not that this is the problem, friend had a 2 stroke with same issues, turned out to. Be bad coils

Yes Sir,
Seen that happen more than one of Coils or Plug wires for that matter breaking down under heat and load that you could not duplicate very well (if ever) with it running a on hose.

The plug wires though you can check with a meter and any wire that reads over 10 ohms resistance, I would just chunk in the can and replace ;)

Back