2013 186FS Scupper drains

captfrog

Registered Member
Premium Member
City
North Muskegon
State
MI
I am the lucky recipient of a 2013 Triumph 186FS. While cleaning the interior, on the trailer and bilge drain out, I was having a problem with the starboard side draining. I unscrewed the deck filter and there was a black ball amongst the dirt. I cleaned out the debris and left the ball out but it still did not drain well. I checked the transom drain outlets and had to pry the black covers out. The starboard side did not help but there was some debris in the port side drain and the starboard scupper started to drain much better. Interestingly, I took out the port side scupper deck screen and there was not a ball inserted as in the starboard side. I would assume these balls are there to act as a check valve of sorts since the transom drains would be below water level. Any thoughts on any of this? Of course, any positive thoughts will be welcomed!

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
That is lucky, I would go play the Lottery today also ;)

Can you grab some pictures of what you are seeing? And I would think we would need some wider angle, as well as closer shots at the same time so we can all see what you are looking at and what might be MIA :D

Hope this helps?

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
On my 235 I have flapper style scuppers. On my 215, I had the ball type scuppers. I removed them replacing them with the flapper style. Much happier with that. There's always a little water that comes in, depending of course on how your Hull rests, but with the flapper style it was minimal. Never had a concern leaving it in the water.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
On my 190 I got simply sick of the whole headache and tried various methods to make them both quieter, and keep the water out and off the deck... I finally had the drains on the stern "welded shut" and then routed the deck drain hoses into the bilge for the pump to deal with ;)

On yours I do not know how they are designed or routed? But as I always say "Self Bailing = Self Flooding" and with it being a Triumph, my concern of it sinking is very small as compared to fiberglass.

Hope this helps?
Dave

captfrog

Registered Member
Premium Member
City
North Muskegon
State
MI
On my 235 I have flapper style scuppers. On my 215, I had the ball type scuppers. I removed them replacing them with the flapper style. Much happier with that. There's always a little water that comes in, depending of course on how your Hull rests, but with the flapper style it was minimal. Never had a concern leaving it in the water.
Thanks for your reply. Would you have some photos of the flapper style scuppers?

captfrog

Registered Member
Premium Member
City
North Muskegon
State
MI
On my 190 I got simply sick of the whole headache and tried various methods to make them both quieter, and keep the water out and off the deck... I finally had the drains on the stern "welded shut" and then routed the deck drain hoses into the bilge for the pump to deal with ;)

On yours I do not know how they are designed or routed? But as I always say "Self Bailing = Self Flooding" and with it being a Triumph, my concern of it sinking is very small as compared to fiberglass.

Hope this helps?
Dave
I’ll try and post some photos one of these days but I really don’t see how the little black balls can do anything. They just sit under the scupper screen plates so there’s no way for them to act as a check valve in either direction.

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Here's a picture of the back of my 235. There are a pair of scuppers on each side. One on the outside of the hull, and one on the splash well. Mine obviously are oval. I know they come in other shapes and sizes. My experience is they are much better than the ball scuppers.

Attachments

• IMG_20190518_074904.jpg
    IMG_20190518_074904.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20190518_074913.jpg
    IMG_20190518_074913.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4