235...a very cheap way to go game fishing

RoryWainer

Contributing Member
City
Donvale
While nothing directly to do with Triumph Boats, I went game fishing in the Port Stephens tournament this weekend (note the word “fishing”, not “catching”). Port Stephens is on the East Coast of Australia, north of Sydney and south of Brisbane.

What a collection of magnificent boats - over 170 of Australia’s top game boats assembled to catch striped, blue and black marlin. 60% of the boats caught nothing (including ours) and the boats that did catch fish always caught multiples with the winning boat tagging 11 marlin, the second boat tagging 10, the third 9, and so on (all local boats too).

Most boats were in the 42ft to 65ft range, but a few brave souls headed 30 miles out to sea in small trailer boats in rough conditions (no Triumphs amongst them).

What I learnt (remembered) was that the even multi-million-dollar 65ft game boats roll a heck of lot out there, and the roll on the 235CC is about the same as any offshore game boat. Perhaps this is not the idea design for anchored bay fishing, but absolutely necessary for big rolling seas with waves on top of them. Ironically while the deeper deadrise makes the boat roll more, also makes it far less likely to actually rollover. It is an impressive sight to see a big 60ft game boat with a tuna tower tip over so far that its outriggers almost touched the water in a beam sea, but thanks to the low center of gravity and deep V the boats always bounced right back.

To be honest, I wouldn’t want to be out there in those conditions in any trailer boat, but if I had to take a trailer boat, I would definitely be the 235CC.

All the boats were fishing is exactly the same location, appropriately named “the car park”, so there was safety in numbers if a boat did go down…although an awful lot of big tiger sharks were also caught, with several being over 1,000LB.

I was in a 35ft flybridge game boat and we topped out at 20knots and mostly ran at 12 knots making the trip out and back 4 hours…I could have done it in ½ in my 235. And wait for this, our boat used $1,100 worth of fuel per day – and it was one of the smaller economical boats. Some of the big ones were much faster but they also went through $4,000 in fuel per day! It’s a 4-day tournament, so that is $16,000 in just fuel costs– excluding the cost of bringing the boats in from around Australia (many travelled thousands of miles). I don't feel so bad about the cost of filling the 235's gas tank now.

I’m still not sure what I’m going to do with the 235, but it would a perfect low-cost marlin fishing boat.

I’m back in Port Stephens fishing in the tournament next weekend too…pity I haven’t got time to trailer the 235 up the coast of Australia.

Whitto

Contributing Member
City
Sydney
If you want to bring the 235 up you can pick me up on the way past, I could do with a weekend of fishing for Beakies!

Hope you have better luck with the "catching" part Rory!