Adding Berts Custom Track

tfink

Participating Member
City
Clayton
State
Ohio
I have a 195DC and I want to add some Bert’s Custom Track on top of the gunnels. Anyone have any experience adding them? My concern is I don’t have access underneath to put a backing plate. I would like to put a rod holder tree or maybe a planner board pole with reels and I want to make sure I don’t rip off the track due to the pressure.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
And for those who do not know what these are (like myself) here is a link to their website:

And I will leave this one to our 191/195 and 210 Guru's, but offhand Tim... The same toggler bolts used for mounting Trolling motors "might" have enough clamping force? See this video link:

If not...

Next option, is using a hole saw to cut and install some 4 inch access plates on the inside like these...

s-l1000.jpg

So you can then reach up into the inside and install the Bert's tracks with some flat backing plates. I kind of doubt that the hull foam reaches that high?

Hope this helps?
Dave

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
That's the best way to do it. Be aware of fuel filler and any other fittings while laying out where to install access plates and hardware.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
You know Tim,
If they (Toggler Bolts) can handle the stress of a swim platform with my big butt using it as in the case of my past 190. Then I am quite sure the more I think about it, would secure those tracks down and pretty much anything you might want to all them like a down-rigger.

I stopped the above video to get the size denoted, and found them online the only thing I am NOT sure about these brand, are they 316 Stainless Steel though?

But do like the fact that they are reusable since the screw base is always held in place by the nylon securing strap ;)

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I used those on my current and past Triumphs. And they work well. They're 304 stainless, so not completely rust free. I used them for securing Scotty Rod Holder mounts, but not for the downrigger mount. I thought there was just to much weight / stress related to the downrigger. I mounted the downriggers on mounts that slip into the existing gunwale rod holder.

The toggles are a good option, and would probably work well for your track system, but I would not put more demand on them than that.

tfink

Participating Member
City
Clayton
State
Ohio
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. This was very helpful.

Moon Loon

Registered Member
Premium Member
City
Levis
State
Quebec
i have BERT TACKLES on my 195CC for years to hold my down riggers and they are fastened with Toggle bolts. I fish Geat Lakes for salmon with 12# panhead bullets. I never had issues with the Toggle bolts.