After reading,Triumph F.A.Q

peaceinthewood

Participating Member
Premium Member
City
Miami
It was sad to read the part where triumph is no longer making these great boats. Its hard to believe that no one can step in and buy the co. I always thought these boats could have been sold for less$$ thus making them a great value. i guess if your gonna pony up up 40 k + for a plastic boat you could buy a host of other boats why take a risk right? i think triumphs should have been sold for less maybe they would have sold many more, i am not certain. but whenever a new guy comes fishing with me they fall in love with the boat. one of my friends has a Mako, he loves the triumph .. is this the final chapter for Triumph? and if so what will be of those Molds ?

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
They are "Dead Jim" and they kept missing the mark as other builders simply passed them by. And pricing them near or at the same as other brands did not help either.

Such a great material to make a boat hull from, but you have to keep up with the market! As such many other builders both in the Flats Skiff and Bay Boat lines for example, simply passed them by in both design and functionality... Case in point, this is perfect material to build a lower cost, less draft Flats Skiff from, but they (Triumph) could not even get the casting decks flush :confused: And one cannot simply bolt on a Polling Platform and call it a Flats Skiff as Triumph tried (and even then for a short period of time) and it work. Oh and by the way, those Polling Platform on the early 170 Triumphs were shaky to say the least. I spent more than a day on one, and I felt like a big boar hog treed on top of a shrub on it. Every breath I took, it shook LOL... Now go compare a Triumph 150 or 170 to like a Maverick HPX in form and function, and you will see what I mean ;)

Then compare the 190 to like the Robalo 206 Cayman in storage and performance, no comparison...
http://robalo.com/Robalo-Boat-2016.php?id=381&action=tab_highlights

But the Triumph 190 had many years head jump on them? And I talked to them and sent example after example of simpler changes to make to no avail :( Many of them I had made on my last 190 so this was not rocket science for sure :D Not with my 70 IQ points :p

Let's not even talk about all the sweeping changes Bill (Push and Pull) made on his older 210! They could have developed an entire new and righteous 210 / 230 for pocket Offshore work, just from looking at all of his pictures :cool:

Really sad to see them go myself, but much of it was a case of self inflected wounds. And such a great material to make a lower cost boat hull from that was as tough as a communist drill instructor! Great ride under your feet also. But they needed to make changes to some of the hulls to make them quieter for sure. I also considered them a great starter boat and sort of like a "boat with training wheels" this as newer owners could bash them off docks, drop them off a trailer, hit Oyster beds, etc. etc. with little to no hull damage!

I suspect the molds are now, in the scrap pile gone forever plus and one would need some pretty expensive ovens to "shake and bake" the hulls into place. No I doubt, we will ever seen Triumph ever come to life again... Others are making hulls out of the same type material now http://www.hogislandboatworks.com/ so I have to wonder about the validity of their patent at this point? This or the past owners simply did not care to chase after them...

Tight Lines!
Dave

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
It is my understanding that some (not sure how many or which) of the molds have been "cut up". Unbelievable. I think there is still an interest in by a few folks to try to purchase the brand and what is left of the molds but I have no idea if this would actually happen or not. It is a shame. I agree that a focus on the smaller boats with fewer options sold at a lower price could have had a shot at being competitive in the market. If I hear anything else I'll pass it on.

mallahan

Registered Member
City
Everett
State
WA
Two of my friends, after spending a day on my boat went searching around the Seattle area for the same boat. I have a 191F/S and works perfectly for our needs for salmon and crab. They both ended up driving all the way to Denver to find some nice used 191 F/S . They both cannot be happier. Says alot about the value of the boat holding up over time. Still loving my boat starting year #10.

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I went from Seaswirl to a 215cc in 2007 and was beyond happy. Later, believing I was fulfilling my family's wishes, I sold it for a pilothouse. Mistake. I went on a search and rescue mission for a 235cc, which is what I should have done in 2008. I found one in the Seattle area and could not be happier. It really is a shame these boats cannot be revived in a booming economy, revised, redesigned as far as accessories and details and brought back to market. I would buy a new one if that was the case.

Last edited:

peaceinthewood

Participating Member
Premium Member
City
Miami
Its been a while since I posted this. I wish they still made these boats I would go and buy a new 235 today if I could. Boat prices are through the roof
if they were still around maybe they could have enjoyed this booming boat market we are experiencing.... Sure wish I could get a new 235 :confused: