Almost a new 170CC owner

M

MrCrab1770

Hello all. I have just committed to buy a new Triumph 170CC powered by an Evinrude 60 E-Tec. Haven't picked it up yet, but it's 24 degrees outside with a couple of inches of sleet on the ground. I suppose I can wait a couple of weeks more. I do most of my boating/fishing on Lake Norman near Charlotte, NC. I live during the winter months in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and like to boat on the Rappahannock River and Chesapeake Bay.

I'm looking forward meeting you and sharing experiences.

Tommy

Congratulations on the new boat Tommy! We look forward to seeing some pictures when you have it. :)

Hello Mr Crab, welcome and you will love your 170cc. I have the same and it's been great. We have the same weather up here in Maine but a little cooler. I hope to launch one or maybe two times before the end of the month.It will be a little cool but it makes the summer seem a bit longer:) Bob

Welcome aboard Mr. Crab.
A fine boat you've selected! I have a 2004 170CC and have really enjoyed it. It should serve you well on Lake Norman. I have a brother in Huntersville. Lake Norman is a beautiful lake.
John D.

Under Powered??

My only concern is my choice of engines. Anyone have experience with Evinrude E-Tec 60 hp on 170CC? Not interested in going 45mph, but would like to be able to cruise 25-30mph and pull grandkids on a tube with enough power to whip them around at a resaonable speed.

Mr C
I have a 170CC with a 60 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I've pulled my son tubing and have plenty of power 37mph (GPS) WOT with a couple of adults.That said, if I had a boat full of people and planned on playing/tubing etc. I would opt for the 75hp. If it's not too late check on the price difference between the 60hp and the 75hp. I bet you'll find that the fuel burning difference is minimal. The etech weighs and little less that the Yamaha, so that will have a small affect on its performance. I fish 75% of the time and with no more than two adults. If I lived on the lake and cruised/tubed, etc I know that I would have chosen the 75hp. I would just have a tendency to want the extra HP in that environment. Good luck!!!!!
John D.

My only concern is my choice of engines. Anyone have experience with Evinrude E-Tec 60 hp on 170CC? Not interested in going 45mph, but would like to be able to cruise 25-30mph and pull grandkids on a tube with enough power to whip them around at a resaonable speed.
Congrats on the new boat. I have a 2003 170CC with a 60hp 2 stroke Merc. and use it for exactly what you're talking about. I've pulled my two teenage boys and a couple of friends (2 in a tube and 3 in the boat) around with no problem. Up on plane with a tube out and we can hit 25+. Just cruising around without the tube 32+ depending on water conditions. You're going to love the boat!!! Congrats again.

170 Cc Questions

I'm looking at purchasing a 170 shortly and have a few questions:
Has anyone installed bow rails, or anything screwed into the hull, and were there any problems?On my larger fiberglass boat, everything was bolted through, and backed up with a plate.
Has anyone had problems with getting waranty work done?
Is a Yamaha 4 stroke enough engine for this boat and two people?
Any odd problems with roplene in a boat?

Thanks

Can't really answer your questions. Warrenty work would depend on dealer. Bow rails seem to be pretty standard on many 170CC's, however, I opted for trolling motor. I have same concern about power. I opted for 60 etec Evinrude. You didn't specify horsepower, but I'm assuming it's 75 four stroke. I am sure it's ample for the boat, even with a couple of adults. I guess I opted for economy and purchase price over speed and power.

Crimar30,

As far as screwing anything into the hull run a search, there is plenty of detailed information. I haven't done it yet but make sure you use rule to seal the hole. As far as the warranty, Triumph replaced my boat due to a deformation in the hull. Other owners had had other problems are were satisfied with the service they recieved from either their dealer or the factory. I'm not implying that everyone that's ever had an issue left happy but from what I've read on this site the vast majority have been satisfied.

I have a Yamaha 4 stroke 60 on my 170DC on it will run 38 WOT with two people in it. That's more than I need or use. Base your motor size (60 or 75) on what you are planning to do with the boat. If you're looking to ski or tube consider going with the 75 if you're going to use it primarily for fishing the 60 should be norethan adequate.

As far as odd problems with roplene you won't get the pleasure of having to wax it. I hope that's not too much of a dissapointment. Seriously though, just make sure it is properly supported on the trailer or a bunk if stored out of the water and you should not have any problems.

Again, take the time to read the threads there's a lot of useful information in them. Like you I had some of the sam e questions when I was considering a Triumph. This site and the folks on it helped me make the decision to purchase the Triumph. I do not regret it.

Good luck in your decision.

Tom

tommy, i have a 2006 170cc with a 75hp etech and it runs great. I think the differance between 60-75 is about 1000$. Just remember it's better to have to much hp than not enough. The fuel burn on the 75 is great. Good luck

I'm looking at purchasing a 170 shortly and have a few questions:
Has anyone installed bow rails, or anything screwed into the hull, and were there any problems?On my larger fiberglass boat, everything was bolted through, and backed up with a plate.
Has anyone had problems with getting waranty work done?
Is a Yamaha 4 stroke enough engine for this boat and two people?
Any odd problems with roplene in a boat?

Thanks
CRIMAR30,
I had the bow rail on my boat when I bought it. However, I wanted a trolling motor up front so I removed it and put on the smaller grab rails along the sides. There is no problem whatsoever putting screws into the hull. It makes for a rock solid mounting. Just remember to not overtighten the screws as they will strip out if you do. Also, putting elastomeric sealant into the hole will seal out any water that may want to migrate.

When talking about power for your boat, remember that Roplene is naturally buoyant and much lighter than fiberglass so you do not need as much power to push it for the same sized boat. I had the exact same concerns when I bought mine. Two minutes into the "sea trial" and I was convinced. I highly recommend you take your prospective boat for a test drive to see if your engine/boat combo will meet your needs. Only you will know for sure.

As for the Roplene, it had numerous advantages other than not needing the extra maintenance of waxing. You can drill holes and run your hands into tight areas without getting pieces of fiberglass into your skin. If you mess up and put a hole where you didn't want one, no problem, just use a soldering iron and melt a little Roplene back into the hole and you've sealed it against water intrusion. Beach the boat on that rocky shoreline without having to worry about damage to the gel coat. I could go on and on.

As I said before, take one for a test ride. I'm betting you'll come off the water with a big grin on your face. :D Good luck.

Sounds like good advice. I'll call marina Monday and see if it's too late to swich. Even though I signed a contract for an "in-stock" unit, probably shouldn't have a problem upgrading engines. Thanks for your experience

Good Afternoon Mr. Crab

I'm looking at the same boat with the same set up. I was torn between the 60 and 75hp E-tec. After talking to 2 dealer's I'm going with the 60hp. Why? three reasons, price and weight and hp. With the 75hp you will have another 100lbs hanging off the stern. Its also 1K more. I think the 75 will do very little for your top and speed, compared to the 60. You might be able to cruise at lower RPM's with the 75 but unless you can sea trail a 17CC with both engines it think its a crap shoot.

etech 2006 75hp 170cc full fuel, me a slim 280lbs, full fishing gear and cooler, top speed gps 41-42mph, but quick getting there.

Back