nocturn

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Colonial Heights
State
Virginia
Turks heads, Half hitches, Monkey's fists etc?

I just did my helm with Turks and Hitches. I got tired of my hands slipping on the salt coated Stainless. Came out nice. Poly twine, 2 coats of Marine Tek Epoxy, and 3 coats of white epoxy paint:

helmfar.jpg

helmclose.jpg

I'll be doing the same thing on the Console hand rail when the wx warms.

16 Years in the Coast Guard taught me something I guess. ;)

Thanks.

Yep. I was hoping for a super mild winter, and it was up until mid January. Hopefully that groundhog is right and we'll be seeing spring here in a few weeks so I can get my rig back in the drink.

PS. Don't mind the belly in pic one. Its a Guinness covered in flannel! :)

Looks great Nocturn, Brings back old memories of back in my Navy days. I was stationed at Charleston, SC on Harbor Tugs for two years in 69 and 70. I think that I did Turks Heads and Half hitches on about everything that you grabed hold of on the tug boat. Its hard to tell how many Monkey's Fists and Heaving Lines I made and use. I dont even want to talk about all the Eye, Short and end splicing that I have done. And I was an engineman not a deck ape. But on tugs everyone is a deck hand. Even now days friends and people ask me to splice their ropes when they see my ropes. Im not sure I can still do the fancy work or not. I looked for a book on fancey work a while back put did not find any. I was wanting to do some on a sternwheeler that I was refurbishing for a friend back when I lived in WV.
But anyway thanks for the memories and your work looks real nice. Bob

LOL. I was a Deck Ape for my first 5 years of service. I saw the the light and shifted over to the Snipe side (Damage Controlman).

I became leading seaman on the Cutter and somehow became the fancy work guru. I didnt mind doing the fancy stuff but HATED doing double braid nylon eyes. ARGH! Hours upon hours of 3" and 4" mooring lines! I hated Yard and Charlie periods as a Seaman. The skin on my hands is burning as I type this.

Just about as bad was splicing 3 strand Manila. Just brutal on your finger tips.

I still do small (3/4" and smaller)DBN eyes. I have it down to about 10 minutes a eye.

I still use my first Marlin Spike...:) NSN 122-322-3455-59

Looks sweet, how well does it clean up on those bloody messy days....?

Nice work nocturn! And thank you guys for your service to our country! ;)

That looks great. It would take me 5 years to figure out how to do that

Looks sweet, how well does it clean up on those bloody messy days....?

Thanks!

It cleans up easy with just soap/water/soft brush.

The epoxy seals up the gaps so there is no dirt penetration into the fibers.

Nocturn, Went into Wilmington yesterday and picked up Ashleys Book of Knots at Boaters World. Sweeeeet Book. Looking for some cord/rope today. Again Thanks. Bob

Awesome! You got the bug! lol.

Did you get the hardcover?

Believe it or not, Home Depot has a good selection of small line. The helm was done with the 3/16" nylon from HD. I used (i belive) 5 packages. Make sure you dont forget to soak the line in warm soapy water. The stuff is to ridgid out of the gate.

Post a pic when you finish up with whatever.

Awesome! You got the bug! lol.

Did you get the hardcover?

Believe it or not, Home Depot has a good selection of small line. The helm was done with the 3/16" nylon from HD. I used (i belive) 5 packages. Make sure you dont forget to soak the line in warm soapy water. The stuff is to ridgid out of the gate.

Post a pic when you finish up with whatever.

Thats all I need is another Bug.
Don't think its a hard cover. Lets call it hard paper book cover thingy.
I went to Lowe's this morning and got six 40' packs of 3/16" nylon.
Lowes is 6 miles away and HD is 40.
Package said it was nylon but it feels a little stiff to me. Thanks for the reminder about the soaking. We used to add a little fabric softener along with the soap.
Marlingspike: Boy I sure would like too know where mine is. When I got out of the Navy I had my Marlinspike, Palm, Fid, Sailor's knife, Needles and several spools of Wipping twine in a canves deck bag. If I only could find that bag.
Im not sure what im going to do first. I have some 2" PVC pipe that I will practice on then I think I will start with the T-Top grabs and holds and go from there.
What brand expoxy paint did you use and did you ruffen up the S/S before painting?
Man I hope I don't go off the deep end with this. Sure looks good, but all that time. I might have to guit making bird houses. If my fancy work looks anywhere close to yours I will post pictures. Thanks, Bob

Real nice work!
And I have not seen much of this since I was driving the old 41 and 44 footers :D Those days and those boats, are pretty much left to history now :( only to be reminded of such when my knees start to hurt :rolleyes:

that looks pretty nice. I know what you mean when you talk about your hands slipping on the salty steering wheel.

rudderhinge, I used a Quart of Interlux White Epoxy paint from West Marine. You can buy it at any marina. I would have rather found some DeVoe but I guess the dont exsist anymore.

I didnt do anything to the stainless. Just wrapped the line.

One thing I did do was put 2 coats of Clear Epoxy on the line before the paint. It sealed it up really nice. I did it so I wouldnt need to put 200 coats of epoxt paint. Kind of simulate years of paint on a military boat.

I think I will make a "Ocean Plat" knot for the space between the console and chair. I'll just use Manila for that.

Forgot to add that between the clear epoxy and the first coat of paint I took a turbo torch and a bottle of mapp gas a lightly burned the "Irish Pennants" off the line. It took the fur off and makes it easier to clean (no little nooks for dirt to hide).

I also caulked any large gaps, prior to painting, with plain old caulk. Thats right! Not Rule, just PLAIN OLD CAULK!

Am I the fist person on this site to utter the words "used plain old caulk" ???:)

I hope I dont go to Triumphowners.com jail for telling someone to use plain old caulk.:) :) :)

Nocturn, I think you may be the first person to utter those words. :eek: I would definitely use RULE myself but to each his own. ;) I would just always caution anyone before you "drill or fill" consider what the impact of your modification will be on your hull warranty. If it doesn't affect the warranty or make your boat unsafe in anyway, customize to your liking. That is one of the fun things about owning a boat I think. Making it the way I want it to be. :cool:
I also caulked any large gaps, prior to painting, with plain old caulk. Thats right! Not Rule, just PLAIN OLD CAULK!
Am I the fist person on this site to utter the words "used plain old caulk" ???:)
I hope I dont go to Triumphowners.com jail for telling someone to use plain old caulk.:) :) :)

Using Rule for fancy work would be a waste of money. There is'nt any drilling or hull penetration.

I use rule on everything else though. The only thing I dont like about rule is it gets absolutly filthy. It makes a great adhesive and sealant but a poor filler or finish material.

I ruled all the deck penetrations last year and it sealed well but is unsightly. This year I'm going over the Rule with white silicon. The silicon will adhere to the rule and give it a "finished" look rather than dirty, stained rule.

nocturn, I sure would like to see some before and after pictures with your white silicone over rule.

Yes I would also like a followup on how the silicone is holding up to use.

Thanks.

Back