Back from Salt Cay

ReelDive

Participating Member
City
Chipley
The trip was just what I needed. Salt Cay is, really, the Island that time forgot! I loved it.
The trip down there was and adventure in its own. Originally I booked Spirit Air (THey only go to TCI on Sat) into Provo with conections on Air Turks and Caicos (ATC) to Salt Cay, then ATC changed thier schedual, elimentating the Sat flights to Salt Cay. So I had to change my Spirit reservations to go into Grand Turk instead. Then we charterd a boat ride to Salt Cay. Taxi took us to the dock where we were to meet our charter. The dock turned out to be a Barge dock about 8 ft high with Steel grating for a surface. The charter wasn't there. Another diver (Scott), from Chicago arived via fire truck, I kid you not, but still no charter boat in site. The fire truck was driven by Kevin, the fire chief. and very British. but rude,crude and socially unacceptable enough to fit in with the rest of us. Seams that he had met and dove with Scott on a previous trip. Kevin was equiped with a cell phone that worked in TCI. He made several calls to Salt Cay and located our charter who was 200 yrds away on the other side of the fuel dock, on the beach. Pappy was a 23ft Trophy with no anchor, empty beer bottles, and only the Captain for crew. The port side rub rail was hanging loose and she smeled of dead fish.The old Merc that poweres her sounded like it would come apart at anty minute and was prone to stalling out when shifting gears. There was a 2 fit swell rolling in to make docking even more fun. We finally got our gear and supplies loaded with my wifes pants being the only casuality. a nice 1" tear in the seat. the ride over to Salt Cay was uneventful into a 2 ft chop on top of a 2 ft groung swell. We arived at Salt Cat about 3:30 pm and were met by Debbie, The Owner and Manager of SC Divers and official greater for all incomming divers. Got the gear unloaded and were on board a 20 ft Carolina Skiff and headed to our first dive of the week by 4:30 The diveing is spectacular!!!! We spoted and photographed an unwanted guest. A Red Lionfish The next 6 days were Dive , Dive, Dive. Put in 19 dives in all. Accomodation were at The Trade Winds, which is a quaint guest house consisting of 5 suites with either a full kitchen or kitchenette. We had bruoght enough dehidrated food for beakfast on lunch, Evening meals have to be set up in advance with the local establishments. we dined at the Coral Reef Cafe' and bar most of the time and did a special meal at Miss Pat's Place on Wed. If you ever get down there you have to try Miss Patt's Cracked Conch!! Miss Pat joined us at the table during the meal and we caught up on the island news since our last visit in Mar 06. Great People, Great Diving, and not yet over run with Pod people. ie cruise ship tourists. Wild cows and donkeys rome the streets and the primary transportation is via golf cart or bicycle. Can't wait to go back.. If I ever sell my place in FL I'll get a place down there.

Will post some pix

sounds like you had a great time, outside of the ride to the island.....so where is this place??

Need to keep this one a secret so that the "POD PEOPLE" - cruz boat, Margerita ville jerks don't find it and ruin it like they did to Provo and are trying to do to Grand Turk

Next trip is in January. Belize on the Nekton Rorqual. will Post pic's

The Belize trip was great. Got back and got very busy catching up on things around the Homestead and local diveing. I need to write a new trip report and post pix's. Just got very busy. 42 dives so far this year 30 of them in local waters. Had to pull ReelDive and do annual service.

Back