Ozy Mark

Recognized Leader Triumph 170 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Clayfield
State
Qld
I was just wondering if someone could inform me on the status of 2 stroke carburetter outboard engines in the USA. We Aussies are under the impression that you don't even sell these motors anymore & they are banned on all impoundment dams & lakes?
Is this true & if so, when did it start ?

Thanx
Ozy Mark

I don't know the "exact" rules, however, I did purchase my 2008 170CC with a 2 stroke/carb 70hp Yamaha. The production date on the motor was 8/2006. I still see new 2 strokes/carb motors for sale. I think they have to meet some strict California emissions standards.

So are you allowed to use it on fresh water impoundments (or Lakes) or do you have restrictions??

Thanx
Mark

No restrictions that I know of. In my area, there are man made lakes that have gas motors exclusions because they are so small.

yes they do sell 2 strokes, in many states, and its okay in most water ways. Except california, you can use them, you just can not buy a NEW 2 stroke in this State.

It is my understanding that engine manufacturers are still allowed to sell 'dirty' 2 stroke motors as long as they produce a certain percentage of their entire engine range as 'clean' engines.

The 'clean' ratio has been increased over previous years and in the future the entire range will have to meet the new strict EPA requirements.

They will probably still make 'dirty' 2 strokes for sale into backwater markets like Australia until we update our EPA rules, several years later than the US ... there will always be a market for the trusty old (dirty) 2 stroke somewhere in the world.

Back