AstroDiver

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Menlo
State
GA
One of my batteries is the original. I also have a back up that is bigger. Both are standard wet cell types.
The original shows 12.5+ volts but won't crank the outboard.
If I replace this battery with an AMG type will there be a problem with the other battery?

Both are on one of the battery switches, "OFF 1 BOTH 2" type.

Since they are rather expensive, I was thinking of replacing the second battery when it decides to give it up. I was looking at Odyssey brand, PC1200 unit to replace my cranking battery. Both are located in the aft center compartment. My boat has a Suzuki 115.

I will be pulling both of these batteries out for servicing...checking water levels, etc.

Thanks for any pointers.

Astro Diver,
Check with your battery supplier, but even better a marine outfitter. My understanding is that both batteries must be of the same type, otherwise there could be problems with one or the other.

Your voltage seems a little low. All of my batteries (8 between two boats) read 12.8-13.0 volts. I got rid of my wet cells and love AGM batteries for their ease of service, holding a charge well, don't freeze, most are dual purpose starting/deep cycle and they don't vent gas as much. The down side is cost and lower number of cycles. Odessey makes an excellent battery. I use them (TT1370) for my electric trolling motors because of their high reserve capacity.My other bank on both boats (cranking and house) is left to optima blue top D34's.You may not have any problems with a battery switch and two different battery types if you use your switch to only use one battery at a time.Problem is your alternator will only charge whatever battery is switched on at the time.You did not state if you had an on-board charger as this will complicate things as most chargers have a battery type selector switch (one time or anytime).Some GUEST chargers charge any battery type. Personally, I think STEALTH makes the best chargers on the market for small boats. Call Danny Roberts at 1-423-842-2772 or 1-423-595-3108 or check out his website at Charging Batteries as you use them. These chargers charge any battery type any time the boat motor(s) are running or hooked up to 110V or off a solar cell or wind generator or even from your tow vehicles alternator on the way to and from the water. Batteries last longer and you can stay out longer if they are replenished as soon as possible, not as soon as you gat back to the dock or home. After all that, if you can afford it, replace one or both with an AGM dual purpose. If you go with one dual purpose and one deep cycle and the dual purpose fails, it will be hard on the deep cycle to start your motor as this is not what they are designed for.Furthermore, if your battery switch is only on one battery, only one will be charged by the alternator. So, start your motor using only one battery and leave the other for emergencies (switch every so often which battery you start with) or combine both batteries and start and charge with both.I guess there is such a thing as TMI. Hope this helps.

Hi John:

Please check the Articles Section for "Additions & Modifications to our 2005 Triumph 210". It will tell you what we did.

We love our AGM batteries and searched for weeks to find what we believe is one of the best AGM manufacturers.

Good luck.

Vic

Well that didn't work! How can I type in charge on the run dot com and it comes up charging batteries as you use them? Maybe I should go back to computer school. hmmmmmm.

The system automatically transposes web URL's into the page title for that site if it has one. You are not doing anything wrong. If you click on the link that says "Charging Batteries as you use them" it will go to the URL you entered. :) You can just enter the name as "Chargeontherun.com" without the URL link and it will do what you want.

Back