Bimini Top rivets breaking

mssrusso

Registered Member
City
Riverview
Anyone ever had the rivets break on their bimini top?
I have a new 07 190 bay and have took it out about 3 or 4 times so far. The first day after I drove it home on the trailer I was putting on my new cover for it and had to lower the bimini top that came on the boat and one of my rivets sheared off of the upper rear support. A little dissapointed I just put a stainless steel screw in to hold it in place until my 20 hr check up. During my 20 hr check up at the dealer they replaced the revit with a new one and I thought I was good to go. My next trip out while I was trailering the boat back home I noticed my bimini top was about to fall off. I pulled over and noticed the two main bottom support poles that the rivets had sheared off! If I wouldn't have noticed it and if I would have been driving on the interstate I may have lost my top. I am going to again take my boat back to the dealer but this time I want some type of stronger fix this time, no more cheap rivets. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I have not ever took the boat in ruff seas just in the bay, nothing over a moderate chop. I will let you know how Triumph or the dealer handles this one. I do feel they will take care of me as they have in the past I just hope it is an upgrade to the same type of rivets.

I haven't heard of this before but you are taking the right course of action. I'm sure the dealer will take care of you. Let us know how it works out.

I don't have the factory top so I would not know for sure, but I would make sure you have it "stowed" before traveling at highway speeds with it... I get a chuckle every time I see one up and going 65 mph. I also get out of that lane if I am behind one getting towed like that ;) this before it flies off and hits my truck in the windshield :eek:

Yes I have had the rivets pop on my 170cc, I just replaced them and they seem to be holding

I don't have the factory top so I would not know for sure, but I would make sure you have it "stowed" before traveling at highway speeds with it... I get a chuckle every time I see one up and going 65 mph. I also get out of that lane if I am behind one getting towed like that ;) this before it flies off and hits my truck in the windshield :eek:

If I am reading it right I think he has the top folded with the cover zipped up to keep the drag down. If you fold it all the way to the Gunwale then it can damage the poles or the surface of the boat. Also it is much less stable while in the fully down position as it has no way to attach to the boat. I leave mine up but closed with the zipper cover on to travel. I see where the rivits are that he speaks of and ours has stainless bolts with cap nuts. I can see how rivets would sheer. Not a good way to secure something like that.

If I ever saw a top left open and going down the road I too would back of a mile and roll my eyes, Crazy. And Expensive.!

I have not had problems with the rivets yet but I have had to replace three of the bolts in the factory top in the first four months of use. We do go out in 1-3' often but the rivets are holding to this point. A small bit of threadlock seems to have helped.

Bimini Slide Tracks

I have been considering adding a slide track for the bimini top. I had another boat that had this and I liked the convenience it offered. You just loosen the knob and lower the top along the track. I found these and I think I can add the 30" on my 195CC.

http://www.iboats.com/Slide_Assembl...74066726--list_time.1188499751--view_id.40252

Has anyone added tracks? Comments would be appreciated.

Please look for postings by Putershark. If my memory serves me correctly, he has that on his 190 Bay.

My good friend Vic is correct,
I had a top made and the tubes customer bent for my 190 that fits "inside" the hull forward of the trolling motor battery box that is mounted on sliders. Quite a few pictures can be found through out this section in the photo page of the web site...

http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/photos/showgallery.php/cat/506

Back