Boat Covers

Dustoff '68

Participating Member
City
Norfolk
I won't mention the company, but suffice to say I am not happy with the "full custom" cover that I purchased...though the cover was returned on MY dime twice for "corrections", the cover, as it stands now, will only fit a Triumph 170 CC with the full bow rail, and no rear seat rails and swim platform. My question is, ( and I have called virtually every manufacturer of covers who have either said they won't make a full custom cover for a Triumph, or that they only would make a "generic" cover) does anybody make a custom cover for the 170 CC that has the bow rail, rear seat stern rails, and the swim platform that actually FITS?

Thanks for any assistance.:(

Dustoff,
My experience with boat covers in my 35 years of owning boats is, you will be much happier with your cover if you get it custom made at a canvas shop. It will be more expensive than an off the shelf one. I find the best way to find a good canvas shop is to talk to boaters at local boat clubs or yacht clubs in your area and see who they reccomend. You can even walk around boat storage areas and find nice looking covers, thay often have the shop that made them have a sew on label that they stitch to them. Here is a picture of a moring cover, and console cover I had made here in Ohio for my Triumph.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Dustoff,
My experience with boat covers in my 35 years of owning boats is, you will be much happier with your cover if you get it custom made at a canvas shop. It will be more expensive than an off the shelf one. I find the best way to find a good canvas shop is to talk to boaters at local boat clubs or yacht clubs in your area and see who they reccomend. You can even walk around boat storage areas and find nice looking covers, thay often have the shop that made them have a sew on label that they stitch to them. Here is a picture of a moring cover, and console cover I had made here in Ohio for my Triumph.

I agree....unfortunately, I have found a few here in Norfolk, VA who wil make a custom cover for about $ $800.00 or so...not sure that is a "normal" price for a boat cover in a 17" length...I guess my concern is that a number of boat cover manufacturers advertise perfect fit custom covers, and no matter how much info one provides regarding the specs of one's boat, they deliever a product woefully less then promised.

I agree with rscott. I had mine made by a custom shop and was very pleased. They are now out of business unfortunately. For folks living in Florida you might want to check out a new sponsor on our site, Viking Canvas.

I checked with the factory for you on this and here was their response:
We have had very good results with Covers inc. The problem according to Covers inc is that most of the time the customer does not include all of the options that they have on the boat so the fit changes.

I checked with the factory for you on this and here was their response:

Well...I said I wouldn't mention the company, but that's where I got mine...in spite of fotos, and extremely detailed explanation of how MY boat is configured, they refused to make it to spec, instead, offering to take back the cover, again, on my dime, less their original cost for shipping....$275.00 cover returned, when after all is said and done will yield me a $150.00....I must admit, i am a bit frustrated.:mad:

Back