Boat Re-Upholstering

Vqt411

Registered Member
State
Ca
I bought my boat from a previous owner who had it sat in open storage for 6+ years. The side cushions were pretty much baked in and worn out. All of the other cushions were taken out and stored so they are still brand new. It was more of an eye sore to have the contrast between the cushions. I requested a few quotes for a plain upholstering and got back 1200+ and up. Definitely not in my budget so I figured the next logical thing was to do it myself. I went online and bought 15yds of marine vinyl. I wanted to keep it simple and cost efficient. Plus it will be easier to clean w/o the pleaded design which attracts more dirt. All in all. It cost me 65$ of vinyl and 10$ on 3M 90 Adhesive spray. The rest was just pure 1st time effort. The biggest challenge was the bow piece since it have curve in corners. I didn't want to sew so hence the 3M spray. It was more difficult to get in the smooth curve than I would've like. I suppose its better than looking at the old cushion. I would definitely use a pneumatic staple gun vs a regular heavy duty staple gun if you have it.

Attachments

• IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3878.JPG
    IMG_3878.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3891.JPG
    IMG_3891.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3892.JPG
    IMG_3892.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3893.JPG
    IMG_3893.JPG
    870.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
For a first time effort, it looks pretty darn good to me. What material were you stapling into? Is it the original backing?

For a first time effort, it looks pretty darn good to me. What material were you stapling into? Is it the original backing?
It is the original plastic backing. I had a hard time using a manual heavy duty stapler so i borrowed a friends air compressor and pnuematic staple gun. I bought my vinyl from this website https://www.marinevinylfabric.com (5x Marine Vinyl Fabric - Flexa - By The Yard / Off White for $8.95 each). It is thinner than the original but very stretchable.

Last edited:
Back