Caught my 190 on FIRE for 4th!

farmervince

Registered Member
City
Melville
Well a nice and fun party out on the water yesterday turned into a nightmare. When i pulled back up to my camp after being anchored out swimming i had smoke coming out the engine cover, pulled the cover off and it had FLAMES! I had to use the fire extinguisher to put it out. Best i can tell my stator shorted out or something cause thats where it was burning. the F100 still starts and runs great but you can smell the electric burning. Anyone have an idea?

First, never pull off the cover. Why? You introduce more oxygen for burning. Kill the motor and let the smoke smother out the fire. You can also (while the motor is OFF) shoot the fire extinguisher into the air intake of the engine cover (NEVER INTO THE ENGINE DIRECTLY). For example, the air intake for my Yamaha is at the rear of the cover (the part I grab when removing the cover).
Second, something burned will always smell burned until replaced. Time to tow to a good marine mechanic.
Keep us posted.

Best i can tell my stator shorted out or something cause thats where it was burning. the F100 still starts and runs great but you can smell the electric burning. Anyone have an idea?

If the stator shorted out, it would affect the engine starting and running. Does your engine have any belts. (ie, alternator) could have been a belt on fire that burned the insulation on some of the wiring. Obviously you'll need to check all possibilites and replace any damaged wiring or components.

I brought the boat in to the mechanic last week and he said it was the voltage regulator that caught on fire. The mechanic said if the regulator stop putting out and the stator is still working the regulator can get so hot it will ignite the wires on it and once the insulation starts burn it will just catch more on fire. And since it hasnt been charging my battery this year i should of got it checked out and could of avoided this event. Apparently its fairly common from what he told me. so hopefully it will be all fixed for the weekend so i can make a fishing trip.

Smoke on the Water....Fire in the engine...

I recently had my charging system go out on my 03 yamaha 90. I caught it time and made it back to port. Went home and started diagnosing. Smelt smoke from the regulator. Shut it down and did a diode test to comfirm a bad reg. Did some research. This seems to be a problem with this era from the 70ish to the 150s. Yamaha has upgraded to a larger regulator housing. Of course they are not admitting fault.

Back