Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
From my time in the military and the last nearly 30 years at law enforcement, I have done many things weapons-related. I've taught close quarters and building entry, work-related weapons & range training, I've taught friends and my kids to shoot, and I taught my wife to shoot.

Last year, I asked my wife to get her concealed weapons permit. A lot simpler process in California than you would think. We've spent tens of thousands of rounds shooting, feeling pretty comfortable handling firearms.

Then, she went to do her concealed weapons class. That included some time at the range. And she came home with some skills!

Much better weapons handler than before, and I thought she was pretty good going into that class. The guys that were teaching did a great job.

Last edited:

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
And... Why have we not heard from her on this topic? Oh, and some pictures are always great additions :D

Would also like to know what she was using handgun and round wise, and any tips she has for other ladies considering the same :cool:

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
She's big into Facebook and other social media places. I'm NOT. I'll remind her to post some things....

For her CCW, she used a Glock 43 and a Ruger LCR (38 revolver). It was funny, so, just in case she picked up my G43 rather than her own, she had to qualify with both of our G43's, though they are exactly the same. They have different serial numbers, hence the requirement to qualify with each of them. Kind of silly.

The ammo was Winchester 115 grain 9mm FMJ. Just good plinkin' ammo. But, we carry Hornady Critical Defense rounds in our handguns.

Mrs. Offshoreman

Registered Member
State
CA
So I got my CCW this last year. It was an interesting process, and actually kinda cool. I do have some recommendations for ladies who would like to go through a Concealed Weapons course, though.
First of all, make sure that the class has range time that includes holstering and un-holstering, situational awareness, and scenarios. The CA curriculum is standardized as far as classroom time, but the range time can be pretty disparate. Just shooting at a target at an indoor range will not teach you how to handle yourself in a self-defense situation. Be picky, and find the right instructor!
I was pretty comfortable with my Glock 43 beforehand, and familiar with the LCR. After taking this course, I feel really good about how I handle both! I know Offshoreman talked about having to qualify with all of the guns, and by the end of the day I had fired almost 300 rounds out of 3 guns... Ouch.

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Excellent tips and recommendations!

Thanks to you both for sharing this valuable information with others :cool:

Dave

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
I know of another young lady that is looking into getting her's and has never fired a round. Any advise for her?

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Yes. There are three things you can never buy a woman: Shoes, a bra, and a handgun.

The idea is that it must feel good in her hand before she would ever be comfortable shooting it. So take her shopping, let her try every single one of them on. It must feel good in her hand for her to have the confidence needed to develop shooting skills.

Once it is picked out, then you can worry about caliber, color, accessories, etc.

A soft shooting.380 or low-recoil 9mm to start.

More as you move forward....

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.