Changing Prop Pitch

Caps in EBB

Registered Member
City
Chicago
Wondering if anyone out there can help me out. I own a 2007 17cc purchased used last year. I love this boat, except it came with Yamaha F50 which is a little underpowered when I have more thn 2 adults in it. I was wondering if I changed the Prop Pitch, would that get me out of the hole faster or add a little speed at the top??

A pitch change will help, but in most cases you will loose top end speed. Then you have the ongoing debate on using a 3, 4 or even a 5 blades prop for better bite in the water at launch. Diameter and Cup also have their influences on how a prop will preform so it is the total package (not just pitch alone) that you have to look at for your best compromise and finding a good exchange prop program is your best bet.

Here is a link / page that will help you no matter which engine brand you have since most all can be used on any engine with the correct hub insert naturally. And educate yourself on the Basic Propeller Parts section so as to help remove the blinders many have that a pitch change is the route to go or only option you have for an upgrade prop.
http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/about/overview/

Back