Concerned suki engine owner

D

Dglass71

I was hoping ease some of my concerns. I bought a 195 dc a couple of weeks ago with the 140 Suki 4s. The dealer never told me about the "breaking in" of
> the engine I learned later while reading the manual. The dealer
> took me to launch it the day it left the yard I would have figured
> he would have mentioned it then. On my first run alone I did open
> it up after cruising slow for about 45 minutes. The pond I am on is
> fairly small so I only opened it up for about a minute or 2. I have
> done this a few times before I realized I should have broken it in.
> Should I look or listen for anything to see if I messed it up? I
> was never on a wide open stretch where I had wot for 10-20 minutes
> never even 4 minutes. I have about 14 hours on it now. WOT with a 14 x 19 prop does 6000 rpm at about 42 MPH if thats helps.

Dglass71, no question, the dealer should have mentioned something about the break in period. If it's anything like the Yamaha break in, it is pretty boring!!! All kidding aside, You're probably alright. Many mechanics will tell ya that that the most important thing is not to stay at any one speed for any length of time. In other words, vary your speed as much as possible and don't open her up for extended periods. With 14 hours on her now, too late anyway. Biggest reason to go through the manufactures break in period is to break in the piston rings and liner. With properly seated piston rings, oil use will be kept at a minimum and maximum compression will be achieved. If you are really concerned, hit your dealer up for a free cylinder compression check (since he didn't mention the break in procedure). If this looks good, your probably in good shape.

Back