Corroded Wiring

Jimbo

Participating Member
Premium Member
State
New Jersey
Hi folks,

I took my 195DC out of the water this week to clean the bilge (full of compost), change the battery and put on a new prop.

After changing the battery, the electronics were working but the ignition switch showed no volts and the engine didn't respond to starting. So, I:
1. checked that power was going to the engine starter (12.8v - all good),
2. checked the fuses (all good),
3. checked the wiring connection under the helm where the fuse board is (no good).

There is serious corrosion of the connectors -- see pic. The connectors are right in the position where water passes through from the compartment to the bilge. That brown wire on the front left was disconnected. I stuck it back in the hole to keep track of it. I probably shorted that wire while moving the main wires when changing the battery -- the wires in the connection bundle are seriously corroded, so it doesn't take much for them to separate.

I'm really fortunate that this happened while the boat was on the trailer!

For now, I'm going to clean-off that connector with contact cleaner, check for any other bad wires, and jumper the bad ones directly to their corresponding wire on the other connector side. At the end of the season, I'll completely replace/rewire that connector.

Does anyone have any advice on this endeavor?

Thanks!
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_4279.jpeg
    IMG_4279.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know the part number for that connector? If I can find it, I'll just redo the connectors now.

It's too old Brother, and you will chase and repair those types of repairs from that barely NMMA rated factory harness from now on... Really, a complete rewire is in order and what you need to do yourself, or have completed next downtime cycle.

In the meantime though, I would upgrade those connectors to these: https://www.deutschconnector.com/products/deutsch_connectors/

And here is a thread that you need to review, and watch all the related videos, so you can see how a proper modern harness is now made, that is above standards and just as importantly, made to properly fit and not stay wet much of the time: https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/general-marine-wiring-forum-now-online.9171/

These guides will also help you get the correct components installed: https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/marine-wiring-tools-and-guides.9172/

The hull on any Skiff or Boat in my opinion anymore, is to keep a proper made wiring harness dry and secure. In other words, I might elect to not have some of the nicer things on one or spend extra for more carbon fiber use... But a sub standard wiring harness will keep you off the water or have you towed in more than anything else on any vessel...

Hope this helps!
Dave

Ugh -- yeah...that's not something I'll be taking on this season. :) For now, I'm just going to clip and label each wire, extend each wire about 6" using shrink-solder connectors, and reconnect them using those upgraded connectors you linked to.

When I was trying to disconnect the old connector, another wire popped out. This thing is a disaster, and I'm really lucky this happened when I was on the trailer and not in the river!

Thanks for the info, I checked out that pretty wiring harness you have. I'll see if I can find an electrician who needs some side work to do that next Fall.
Jim

Back