corrosion problem

Davey

Participating Member
City
Venice
I'm starting to get some corrosion in my out board motor. Ihave used salt away and flush engine after every use. Pee hole gets plug withsmall bits of white granular pieces I assume is corrosion. Any suggestions asto what I can use to flush with to eliminate any corrosion I may have accumulated.

Are you pulling your internal engine anodes and cleaning them regularly (once a year, at least)? The internal anodes get quite a bit of a white chalky/waxy material on them, and need to be cleaned every now and then to function properly. You clean them my scraping the deposits off and/or wire brushing. And they have to be replaced when they are 2/3 gone, just like the external anodes. Usually, the internals are aluminum anodes instead of zinc, so they sacrifice their metal to prevent internal corrosion the engine.

Are you pulling your internal engine anodes and cleaning them regularly (once a year, at least)? The internal anodes get quite a bit of a white chalky/waxy material on them, and need to be cleaned every now and then to function properly. You clean them my scraping the deposits off and/or wire brushing. And they have to be replaced when they are 2/3 gone, just like the external anodes. Usually, the internals are aluminum anodes instead of zinc, so they sacrifice their metal to prevent internal corrosion the engine.
Are these in every motor? I've never heard of this. That's some good info.

Are these in every motor? I've never heard of this. That's some good info.
Well, I'm not absolutely sure that they are in every motor. That was an assumption on my part. They are certainly in every Suzuki four stroke. There are five internal anodes in my Suzuki DF150, and the owners manual indicates the need to service them periodically.

Last edited:
Davey, I just happen to be doing my periodic maintenance, and have the anodes pulled. The attached pictures are of the anodes, and on the second picture, I've scraped some of the deposits. These deposits might be what you say are plugging the tell tale. I'll see what I can find about the DF115, since I'm not that familiar with it. I might have spoken out of turn on this anode maintenance. I just figured that since my motor had them, that it was a normal part of any outboard. The deposits, when wet, have a waxy feel, but are just powdery when dry. The first time I pulled the anodes, I thought the deposits were sea salt, but it's not at all salty (yeah, I tasted it :p), so I assume they are aluminum salts, results of the sacrificial corrosion of the anode itself.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 33
Well, I stand corrected, folks. Davey, I just checked a parts diagram for the Suzuki DF115, and there is no anode shown either in the block or the cylinder head. So it looks like you don't have internal anodes. So I'm not sure how to address your corrosion or the deposits that you're encountering.

Davey, there is one other possibility. If your motor is 2003 or older, the DF115 and DF140 had a ferrous plug somewhere near the oil pan that was also exposed to exhaust gases. Since it is screwed into an aluminum body, there was a problem of galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals and the heat of the exhaust. Suzuki corrected the problem with the '04 models, I believe. Those who have had the problem of corrosion have corrected it by welding the hole where the plug goes (plug is not necessary so welding in material is the preferred fix). Others have had aluminum plugs fabricated to replace the ferrous plug. In any case, there are a number of documented engine holder failures caused by letting this corrosion go unchecked. The attachment is from another forum, and it shows the plug on a DF140. You can't see the corrosion on the outside of the engine, of course, but you can try to remove the plug to see its internal condition. The plug should be in the same place on your DF115, since it shares the engine block with the DF140.

Attachments

• Suzuki%20Corrosion2.jpg
    Suzuki%20Corrosion2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
FYI - most of the Yamahas have internal anodes also. At 500 hours, mine were still nice and clean but you or your service guy needs to check them.

Also, my Yam 60 has a sacrificial bracket down near the water pump that should be replaced every time you change your water pump. Mine was almost completely shot - lucky the rubber grommet was still in place.

Are these in a Merc Verado 150?

BarrNone, when you first asked if they were on every motor, I looked at parts diagrams for Suzuki, Yamaha, Mercury Verado, Honda, Evinrude, and Mariner outboards, and I didn't find any internal anodes on any but the DF150 and larger Suzukis and the Yamahas. So as far as I can tell your Verado does not have any internal anodes. I think the Yammies only have two. Sorry for not posting that up for you earlier.

If I were you, I would at least call someone, maybe your parts supplier, and verify whether or not you have them. Like I said, mine is only a 60 horse Yamaha and it has internal anodes. If I am not mistaken, aren't many of the Mercs made by Yamaha?

Back