Deadly Triumph Accident (old)

Die on which hull? Article states it is a fiberglass hull and from that small picture does not look like a Triumph.

Here again it can be the USS Enterprise (which is soon to retire by the way) and if you are pitched out of it into cold water, you will not survive very long :(

There are lessons learned from all tragedies.

The lessons learned here are........ Small boat, alone, 12 foot seas, 48 degree water, no safety gear worn, no emergency locating devices. The make and model of the boat is irrelevant.

It doesn't look like a triumph to be either. Either way just like the triumph it can break into peices but it still floats.

I think we are looking at the bow end of the boat, and it sort of looks like an older 190Bay with bumps up the front the logo down at the end (but I could be wrong).

I guess boats are a bit like cars; we should try and buy safe products, but no amount of airbags (foam) will make up for not wearing seat belts (PFDs) or safe driving/boating - and common sense, weather and luck.

Just the other day people die in good size charter boat (30ft+) in the safest of our two bays. A very experienced captain got caught side-on to a surprise wave at the heads and the boat (built to survey) rolled over. The boat didn't sink, but some people died.

I'd like the details of this incident to know if there are any new lessons here.

looks like the triumph logo, not fiberglass and the shell looks like that of a triumph as it is not broken like fiberglass would do, but Bill and Rory it the nail on the head with their comments.

Yes, it would not have mattered if the boat was made of Unobtanium if you get pitched into the water up here without a survival suit you are a gonner. Yeah it is a Triumph, a 190 I believe and it was confirmed by another member here that this was a salvage title hull that had capsized once already resulting in two deaths. If you look closely you can see the Triumph logo in the photo partially hidden by the officer in the photo. Our North Coast up here is about as brutal as it gets. Storms blow down from Alaska and we will get 30 foot swells. The hull did float and landed on the beach but with this being the second accident the hull was in, I can see why it came apart this time.

From all other details I have heard, the accident had nothing to do with the brand of boat. I just thought I would share it with the community here. Not often that you will see a Triumph look like that either. That hull has some bad juju to be involved in two separate fatal accidents.

Back