Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
It is with great pleasure and a privilege for us, that Performance Outdoors was selected to be the first to announce the early release of the latest product from Linear Devices Corp. (makers of Lectrotab and Sentry Marine Battery Chargers) called the Trollbuddy!

Truly as the article title implies, this product is the "Death of the Kicker Motor" for trolling purposes as we now know it...

1531172433701.png

Now the Trollbuddy system consists of a linear actuator (same rugged design as the Lectrotab Trim Tab actuator) with a microprocessor control as an option. Combined with a remote controlled aluminum plate assembly used to drop over and defuse the prop output to both set up, and adjust trolling speeds on outboard and inboard/outboard engines. This system is designed to both find and maintain, optimal trolling speeds all at the touch of button from your console, this while your main engine is running at a very fuel efficient idle speed.

Fine tuning of the trolling speeds, can be made by the adjustment of the angle of attack on the Trollbuddy Plate, when mounted on any engine ranging in size from 20HP or higher. Trolling speeds can be easily found and adjusted from the control switch, while allowing the engine to maintain a constant idle RPM speed all the while slowing the boat down until the desired trolling speed is achieved!

Now when combined with many of the latest generation engines very fine tuning of trolling speeds can be dialed in!

For example; when the Trollbuddy is used in combination with engines that have remote idle RPM speed adjustments, like the VTS systems found on some Yamaha Outboards models. Those engine systems allow you to raise or lower the engine idle speed in steps of 50 RPM, usually in a range from 600 to 1000 RPM. With the Trollbuddy installed on the same VTS enabled engine, you can really find and keep the perfect speed for trolling those fish, in those Sea States, even as the conditions develop / change due to tidal or wind influences all from the comfort of the Captains station behind the helm.

Features of the new Trollbuddy System!
  • Saltwater safe and all components are built to withstand the harsh marine environment for use on outdrives/outboards 20 HP and larger. If used in Saltwater, simply rinse off the lower unit components with freshwater before allowing to dry for best performance and long life of your Trollbuddy.
  • Allows larger vessels with large HP outboard motors, to be quickly converted to a slower trolling vessel.
  • Very lightweight and eliminates the added weight, expense, and ongoing maintenance of a “Kicker Motor” or stern mounted 12-36VDC trolling motors along their extra batteries.
  • When compared to Kicker Motors, the Trollbuddy is both easier to install and safer in many cases by not having exposed gasoline fuel tanks / lines for hooks and other various items to cut into, or for the crew members to possibly stumble over.
  • Adjusts and locks-in the trolling speeds, this while maintaining specified engine idle rpm settings. As such, no need to adjust idle / lower idle speeds on older 2 stroke carbureted engines which can then lead too fouled out spark plugs and poor running conditions and stall outs.
  • Saves on fuel burn (and boat handling in some cases) by reducing the overall boat weight and the added hull draft from the removal of the extra "Kicker Motor" on the transom.
  • Features quick-connect pins and plug for easy removal.
  • Available in both removable clamp-style assembly, and permanently mounted configurations.
  • Manually operated rocker control switch.
  • Operates on 12 Volts DC (Optional 24 Volt DC available)
  • 1 Year Warranty.
  • CE Approved (Compliance with EMC regulations)
The optional LED switch control (SB series kits) also adds these extra features!
  • Automatically retracts the plate at speeds greater than trolling speed.
  • Includes LED indicators to show the plate angle on the control switch for a quick visual reference point.
  • Automatically dims the LED plate position indicators in darkness, and brightens in sunlight.
  • LED keypad is completely sealed, waterproof (IP68) and UV resistant.

General Trollbuddy Wiring Diagram.
1531180948258.png
Early product mounting / use example photos...

20171120_172810.jpg

Resized_20160728_122007.jpeg

Trollbuddy at Dartmouth Dam. Vessel with Letrotab trim tabs..jpg

Maris Boat. Trollbuddy installed . Kicker removed. 2017.jpg

Trollbuddy specifications and Kit Part numbers.
Trollbuddy Part.jpg

In my discussions with Dan Roberts who is the President of Linear Devices, one of our SME's as well as partner here on the Site. We were very pleased that he choose Performance Outdoors to make this early product announcement for them! It has been a pleasure for me (personally) to research and give a little product development input. And Randy and I looking forward to helping out further with this new product and it's launch as time goes along!

As of this time, Dan has advised us that they should be ready for full product shipment in late August / early September 2018 as they are working out the final details and related MSRP costing. With this in mind, I am quite sure they could put together a product kit and costing for you to field test (now) for your Boat. And we would love to hear your feedback on anything related with the product either with it's install or operation... Dan and his Support staff are looking for your real world input to help with ongoing Product Development for the Trollbuddy. And if you are a Walleye Tournament Angler or planning on such for 2019. This product should help give you a competitive edge, much like the Power Pole was / is for both the Shallow Water Bass and Redfish Tour Anglers!

So in conjunction with Performance Outdoors getting to announce this new product line for Linear Devices Corp, and the seeking out of Field Testers from our members here first. We have been able to extended to our Registered Members, the same discounts on this new product line as rest of the Lectrotab and Sentry Marine Chargers! You can get these savings on the new Trollbuddy now, simply by calling them direct and giving them our discount code when ordering and can reach them at 804-368-8428 or 1-888-LECTROTAB

Now if you have some general or after hour questions, you can always drop them an email note direct at sales@lectrotab.com for the Trollbuddy or Lectrotab product lines. Or sales@sentrychargers.com for their rugged line of Marine Battery Chargers.

Here is the homepage links to both of their other product lines since the Trollbuddy Webpage is in the concept / development phase at this time.
Now our Premium Members can secure much greater savings on this new product from Linear Devices Corp once you upgrade your membership. Some of these discounts would cover your costs for the Membership Upgrade for years! You can find those higher discount codes listed on our Premium Member only Forum!

How to join? Simple, just click on the link for the list of benefits and instructions on how to do such here: Subscribe to Performance Outdoors

Tight Lines!
Dave
Associate Administrator

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Good Afternoon!
Dan Roberts has sent me over the Part numbers and Pricing on the new Trollbuddy Kits, and they should have them in stock and ready to ship in about 3 weeks now :D

TROLL11X12SB / MSRP is $1,530.00
This is the complete Trollbuddy assembly with LED control and auto retract sensor, for engines above 30HP

TROLL11X12F / MSRP is $1,200.00
This is the complete Trollbuddy assembly with the manual rocker switch control, for engines above 30HP

TROLL8X8SB / MSRP is $1,500.00
Complete Trollbuddy assembly with LED control and auto retract sensor, for engines 20-30HP

TROLL8X8F / MSRP is $1,170.00
Complete Trollbuddy assembly with the manual rocker switch control for engines 20-30HP

Add -B to the end of any above +$200 for Black Powder Coating

Add -W to the end of any above +$200 for W Powder Coating

Now our Members and even more so, our Premium Members can secure some Great Savings (in some cases several hundreds of dollars) on these kits not only at install. But really long term in several ways as compared to mounting, maintaining, and feeding (fueling) a separate kicker engine and many electric Trolling Motors ;)

If you would like to get in on the savings, just join the Site as a regular member (it's free) and then send me a PM and I will be most happy to shoot you over the coupon code for 15% off MSRP price. Or... you can join as a Site Premium Member the subscription is only $12/year and just click on the "Go Premium" button in the upper right of the screen to learn more.

If you are a Premium Member already, as part of your ongoing support of the Site... We have those extra savings and coupon codes just for you on this Product already posted in the Premium Member Discount section on the Site :cool:

And do let us know in the Trolling Motor section if you get one, your findings / results with the product! Real World testing we are always seeking and enjoy reading, this as we are all looking to get the best ROI for our money spent!

All My Best,
Dave
Associate Administrator

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
And now that Spring is going to break soon Up North, this product would make for a great option for those Anglers that chase Walleye's and from what I have seen on TV. Never seem to get their boats to troll slow enough without adding and dealing with extra smaller Kicker Motors!

Some of the more recent FAQ's on the product (below)
  • What is the first step to ensure the system will fit my inboard/outboard motor?
Locate the baseplate template at Trollbuddy.com, print and cutout the template to ensure proper alignment, fit as well as hole location on your anti-ventilation/cavitation plate.
  • Can I install the Trollbuddy System myself or will I need a service technician?
Yes, the Trollbuddy kit comes with everything you will need to successfully install and operate the system. If your comfortable using hand tools and routing the control cable, you should be able to install the kit yourself.
  • Can I get replacement parts for my Trollbuddy?
Trollbuddy parts are available and can be referenced by the part number in the installation manual.
  • Can Trollbuddy be removed when not in use?
Yes, the actuator wiring has a weather tight plug, with cap and the Trollbuddy plate (Sr. or Jr.) can be removed and stowed. All components are held in place with snap clips and can be easily removed for storage.
  • What is the warranty for the Trollbuddy System?
The Trollbuddy system comes with a one-year warranty covering material and workmanship defects on complete Trollbuddy systems. If non-Trollbuddy parts are used, the Trollbuddy parts are covered by a 90-day warranty.
  • Will Trollbuddy run my battery down?
No, because your engine is running and battery is being charged.
  • How precise is the speed adjustment of the Trollbuddy System?
Speed control is very precise to .06 mph (.1 kph).
  • Is the CSETR-61-TROLL electronic led control waterproof?
Yes, the CSETR-61-TROLL control is waterproof IP68 rated and UV resistant.
  • Can the Trollbuddy be used in saltwater?
The Trollbuddy System can be use in saltwater, and all the components are built to withstand the harsh marine environment.
  • How much will the Trollbuddy System slow down a boat while trolling?
Trollbuddy can reduce your speed 2 to 3 mph (3.2 to 4.8 kph) while trolling.

And let them know the guys from Performance Outdoors sent you if you do reach out to them!

Tight Lines!
Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
See the Attached 2019 List Price sheet (same updated listing above) which now also includes Spare Parts. Also for our Premium Members don't forget about your discount code before ordering your kit! ;)

Also now attached here, is the updated Trollbuddy Control Switch Specs.

Any questions on the system, we now have even more resources on the Site to now answer them! :D

Attachments

• Trollbuddy List Price 2019-1.pdf
    204.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 85000_spec.pdf
    233.8 KB · Views: 0

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
1st product video showing how the system now looks and functions.