DF60 propeller needs replacing

bluecrab

Participating Member
City
Herndon
Hi one of the blades on my prop is cracked. I grounded a few weeks back below wake speed and thats the only time I could think of this happening. I have since been out multiple times. The last weekend seemed like there was a bit more vibration. Checked the motor over and looked at the prop and there it was. I suspect it cannot be repaired so I will need a new prop.

Do you all stick with the suzuki brand or can I use other brand props on my suzuki.

Anyone know of a place in DC/md/VA (northern VA) where I could by a prop?
Any advice appreciated.

Blue

bluecrab you could run a stanless steel prop on your motor witch would give you a little bit better proformance and a stanless steel would not crack on you. well i have never seen one crack. do a search useing the word propeller and see what you come up with.. lots of good info.. you can get a better prop by going with a after market one than the standard prop that came on your motor..you also can look on the prop the size should be stamped on it some where you will need to know that.. good luck...i would not run my motor any more with the crack prop on it , the vibration will make the oil seals in the foot start to leak or damge something eles.

I like running a stainless steel prop but I would caution against it if you run your boat in water that has obstructions. The stainless steel will hold up well but the lower unit may not if you hit a submerged object. :)

Props

If you do happen to run in areas with alot of debris/obstructions/shallows etc, you may want to consider a Pro-Pulse propeller. These composite propellers perform similar to aluminum but are designed so that the blade will shear when struck, saving the lower unit. Repair is a simple task, as one just screws a new blade on. Normally you would carry a spare blade or two on the boat so this could be done while on the water. Save a hefty repair bill later and the risk of causing damage to the lower unit from a propeller being severly out of balance.

yeah I looked at the composites. I don't know if I am sold. I just wonder how strong they are and how hard they need to hit in order to sheer. I dunno. Either way I might get an extra prop and hardware kit anyway to keep on the boat.

thanks a lot for the insight.

Blue

Composite Props

The Pro-Pulse propellers are a strong as Aluminum in terms of flex. It doesn't take much to make them shear in terms of force. Any solid object or even hitting mud at a high RPM would do it. They generally break cleanly at the blade root.

I will let you all know how it goes. Any insight on the replacement other then taking it off lubing it, and torquing it to spec.

thanks
george

Well I did get an apollo SS prop. Twas expensive. I got it at Swift Propellers in woodbridge. John seems to be a good guy. I tell ya what, I can definitely feel a difference in handling, onplane out of the hole, and the rpm's are down a bit but definitely more power. This might sound crazy but reverse is more sensitive and maneuverability in reverse is much much better.

Knock on wood I have only missed about one weekend since April out on this boat. Yeeeeeeeee ha!

Blue ;-)

Back