Do we need a chartplotter/sounder on our new 215cc?

KennyD

Registered Member
City
Boothbay Harbor
I need some input. My wife and I are deciding whether we need a chartplotter on our new boat. We traded-in our 170cc for a new 215cc, which we'll pickup in the spring. We use our boat within sight of the coast of Maine, and hope to venture a little farther away from home in the new boat. I think we need it for safety, but she thinks it's overkill. We'd be very interested in your opinions.

i think its a good idea . I use the garmin 545s and an ipad with a marine program on my 235. plus it gives tidal info optional weather radar via xm water temp fish finder speed heading etc..

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to safety. I have the Raymarine C80 on my boat. My wife told me that when I bought this boat that the one thing she wanted me to have was an EPIRB. My first knee jerk reaction was that I have the radio on the boat but as I put more thought into it I realized that you should never want to be caught without. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Absolutely not overkill! Although nothing can replace paper charts for reliability (They are waterproof and don't depend on your boat's electrical system :D), a GPS/Chartplotter exponentially increases your margin of safety when operating a boat in any waters. A depthsounder of some type (whether a numeric readout or "fishfinder") is also a virtual requirement to help ensure you aren't operating in waters too shallow for your boat.

As for the type, well, it's all about what you use your boat for and how much money you want to spend. The sky is literally the limit in terms of capability. I'm not real familiar with the Maine coast, but if fog tends to pop up suddenly like it can down here, a radar and/or AIS system may also be a good idea.

This isn't a solicitation by any means, but I am a Raymarine Certified installer and Service Tech, Have been a factory trainer for both Lowrance/Eagle and Garmin, and am an authorised reseller for Navico brands (Lowrance, Eagle, Simrad, B&G, Northstar). If you would like to discuss the options available to you, please do not hesitate to call me or send me an email. I will be more than happy to work with you to find the best solution for your boating needs and direct you to the appropriate sales outlet in your area based on that solution.

My number is 757-403-2134 and my email is pamarine@cox.net.

Oh, my recommendation for a 21-26 foot boat operating coastal waters:

On Board systems:
Fixed Mount VHF with DSC
5" or Larger Fixed Mount GPS/Chartplotter with full NMEA0183 capability. Sounder and NMEA2000 capability a huge plus.
2Kw 18" Domed Array Radar
Depth Gauge

If operating in busy commercial zones (LA, Miami, lower Chesapeake Bay, etc):
Class B AIS Receiver

Ditch Kit:
Waterproof Handheld VHF
Auto-inflatable Class II equivalent Life Preservers with working Beacon
Plastic Mirror, whistle, and dye marker per life jacket.
PLB with Integrated GPS

If operating in cold waters some form of waterproof insulated clothing is a must, as you won't have time or space for survival suits on a small boat, but at 50 degrees it doesn't take long for hypothermia to set in.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I ordered my Christmas present yesterday. West Marine had a great deal on a Garmin 541s with a transom 50/200kHz transducer. We don't pick up the boat until mid April, so you may be hearing back from you begging for help with the installation. Merry Christmas.

Most flights are not bad in cost if you plan far enough ahead. I say fly Frank up and pay him to do it right the first time ;) :D

I whole heartedly agree. He has helped me out of many jams with mine.

Let's see...new boat, fishfinder, and now airplane tickets. This is getting expensive. I'm sure Frank's expertise would be worth it.

you guys kill me. Thanks for the kind words. I'm more than willing to provide whatever assistance you need in whatever manner you wish (concerning your boat, mind you) but I think a trip to Maine may be vetoed by the boss :D

No Problem... Just need to factor in how much to make the boss go away also, everything has a price :D

I this would require a babysittier and a few days at the spa, lol

eddie-of great bay: What's the name of the App that you are using on your ipad?

Thanks - Jim

Navionics has apps in the AppStore for the iPhone and iPad. Highly recommend them. they cost 10 Euros and are equivalent to the Gold XL9 regions. I have them on my Android-powered phone. They use the device's built-in GPS and allow for Routes, Waypoints, Tracks, and include all the info the standard Gold chips do :D

Navionics has apps in the AppStore for the iPhone and iPad. Highly recommend them. they cost 10 Euros and are equivalent to the Gold XL9 regions. I have them on my Android-powered phone. They use the device's built-in GPS and allow for Routes, Waypoints, Tracks, and include all the info the standard Gold chips do :D

I have the same Navionics App on my iPhone as back up. The only thing it doesn't do as well as my Lowrance HDS system is depth & fish finder aspects, but as a GPS it is great and would be fantastic on an iPad.

If someone would program an app to accept it Depth on a phone wouldn't be too difficult, as the NMEA0183 language conforms to RS232 protocols.

Just want to throw this out there for all you iPad types. Make sure you are using a 3-G equppied iPad, as the wifi-only version doesn't have a gps antenna.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Tried to get it on my Samsung Droid and no dice.

Back