Does the Suzuki Prop have the old shear pin method of spinning a prop?

ejbpesca

Participating Member
City
Spanish Fort
I greased my prop yesterday and upon looking at it closely it does not appear to have a boot within. For years, all my props of other brands have had rubber bushing like centers that break loose if you hit something. They will allow you to idle back in even after spinning the boot as it is called. I don't see one on my 60hp 4 stroke 2005's SS prop?

I can't remember. Do props with boots have a backwards thread nut to attach them to the shaft? This prop has a regular thread direction..righty tighty and the usual cotter pin you slip through the slots and shaft. If I hit something would that not unscrew the nut? That's why I'm wondering if they have returned to the old shear pin method of saving your lower unit.

The prop "hubs" are splined and are pressed in rubber (or boot as you referenced) that will slip or spin with a prop strike. The cotter will not shear, nor will the nut unscrew as long as the cotter is in place.

OK..I do have a boot just can't see it? On all my former props the boot was in clear view as compressed rubber between the hub and the prop. I see no rubber at all. I need to make a photo of this thing. It resembles a mag wheel, no rubber in sight yet are you saying it is in there beneath the metal so a strike will break loose the prop from the hub?

I've always had boats that I knew every square inch of them. I am finding this plastic boat a huge challenge to understand with its very nice engine.

Oh...why I put the rocks in was because in order to plane out I had to have smart tabs but they caused the prop to cavitate when seeking best cruise trim of the engine. I had a friend get on the bow..his weight solved everything so I replicated his weight with ballast in the fish lockers...rocks. I will take them out when my new Ipilot system is installed along with two very heavy batteries that will suffice for ballast to keep the bow down.

I'll get some photos going here to try to explain my predicaments more clearly. My main concern now is how in the world am I going to replace the worn out bilge pump. I cannot get to it, I cannot even see it from the tiny round hatch on the splash well. No one seems to know how to do this.

Back