Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Driveshaft Bushing Replacement
by Steve Stephens

My 2003 Yamaha F200 would occasionally make a chirping or belt squealing noise while trolling. It has been doing it for several years, but since it was in more saltwater last year, it seemed to happen more frequently.

A couple years ago, I was talking with Andy on the phone and I brought up the chirping issue. Andy knew exactly what was causing the noise and how to fix it. He shipped me a replacement driveshaft bushing, which up until last weekend, was just sitting in the garage. I figured I would wait until the next time I dropped the lower unit which was this past weekend.

This article describes how to replace the driveshaft bushing.

All parts were purchased from my friend Andy at Shipyard Island Marine Engine Parts. Andy, thanks for the great moral support and great price on these parts!!

Once you have the lower unit removed, look up into the mid section and you will see the driveshaft busing.
DSB4.JPG

DSB5.JPG

Use a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring.

DSB6.JPG

DSB7.JPG

DSB8.JPG

The bushing is just pressed into the housing. I took a very small flat screw driver and went all the way around the busing to un-stick it from the housing.

I searched my garage for something with a hook on it to help yank the bushing out. I found a turnbuckle and put a screwdriver through it so I would have a handle. It worked like a charm and the bushing came right out.

DSB9.JPG

Here is the new bushing and snap ring.

DSB2.JPG

Clean the housing area thoroughly before installing the new bushing. I used a small brush and then wiped the area clean.

Push the busing in place carefully and be sure to push it is in all the way. I used a large socket and pushed it in by hand.

Install the new snap ring.

DSB11.JPG

Make sure the inside area of the bushing is clean, then apply this Yamaha grease.

DSB10.JPG

To illustrate what causes the chirp, here is a picture of where the busing rides on the driveshaft.

DSB3.JPG

Look closely at this picture and you will see how the bushing has been rubbing the driveshaft which causes the noise. I cleaned this area and polished it up with emery cloth.

DSB1.JPG

I coated that area with the Yamaha grease. I also put this grease on the drive shaft splines, careful not to get any on top of the shaft. I also applied this grease to the shifter shaft splines. As a standard from now on, anytime I remove the lower unit, I will use this grease in the recommended areas

DSB10.JPG

Be extremely careful when re-installing the lower unit. Have some help you guide the shaft through the bushing so you don't upset the position of the bushing. The last thing you want to do is hit the bushing and cause it to be unlevel in its housing.

I ran the boat at the lake the next day, quiet as mouse! Thanks for the continued GREAT SERVICE and SUPPORT Andy!

Published by permission of HOTSPOT.

Back