Epirb/plb

PileDriver

Participating Member
City
Galveston
Given, that I run offhsore on a regular basis I decided to finally take the plunge and purchase a PLB. This is really something I have been meaning to purchase for sometime now but the cost has always been a bit of an issue. Thanks to the internet I think I identified one of the best deals. They are running a special as I type, so just purcahsed mine for:$557.99,

It is a 2897ACR ResQFix 406 Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) with GPS.

I guess I would rather be broke and alive and then dead and rich! Besides, $600 up against spending the night in the water or stuck in the gulf somewhere is a no brainer!

The new GPS will have to wait a bit, Heck the one I have gets me close enough to see the rigs lol

If anyone is interested, http://www.anchorexpress.com/group....=256&seo=EPIRBs is where I ordered mine from.

Congrats on purchasing your new PLB. Since I have been getting my new boat all set I am looking at which epirb to buy. All the equipment onboard is type I also. Once I have the rest of it put together, I will put a post together on safety equiment. Again congrats on your new piece of equipment. You can never have be over prepared.

Thanks, I figured you cant put a price tag on piece of mind.

The reason I went with the PLB instead of the epirb, is the only advantages the epirb's have is a longer battery life (min 48 instead of 24 hours), a built in strobe, and in some models automatic signal activationl. It is my understanding that the automatic ones have to reach a depth of 13 feet before they activate, so even if our 210/215/235 flip we wont get them to 13 feet under, so we will still have to manually activate them. As for strobe, I have them on the vests anyways and if the USGC cant find me in 24 hours when the gps pins me to a 100 meter circle, then I guess it is just my time!

I look forward to seeing your rig when your done with it.

It should be fun putting everything together. All the vests will have a mirror, whistle and a strobe also, and the boat is getting outffitted pretty hardcore. I would certainly rather have peace of mind. Although the model I am getting will have auto deploy, if it gets to that point, manuel deployment is far better option way before then.

Sounds great but there is a yearly fee. See below.

Service Pricing:

• $99.99 USD/yr basic satellite service subscription includes:
    • ALERT 9-1-1: Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location. Unlimited usage included.
    • CHECK IN: Let contacts know where you are and that you're okay. Unlimited usage included.
    • ASK FOR HELP: Request help from friends and family at your exact location. Unlimited usage included.
Terms and conditions apply
  • Upgrade Services:
    • TRACK PROGRESS: $49.99/yr USD Tracking Upgrade Option Send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using Google Maps.
    • GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit: $7.95/yr USD (if purchased at initial activation. $150.00 USD afterwards) Provides up to $100,000 USD of additional search and rescue resources, including helicopter extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits underwritten by Lloyd's of London for any emergency service expenses incurred. For more information, including terms and conditions, visit http://www.geosalliance.com/sar

I would recommend going with the best epirb or plb your budget can afford. The one thing you never want to take any chance or cut any corners with is your safety/ life saving gear. I take great comfort knowing that I have an excellent epirb and other gear on board. But just my opinion.

I have the same unit as PileDriver and luckly have never had to use it! I have had to update info to the Coast Guard as they will contact you after a few years for up to date contacts.

I'm looking at an ACR Aquafix 406 MHz EPIRB with GPS for $350 new...seems to be the going price for a lot of these personal beacons...any opinions?

Is it me, or have the prices come down on these?

Our regulations here in Australia won't let us use PLBs, we now must have a 406 MHz EPIRB.

I also got the best one I could buy that suited my needs ... with GPS and water activated.

GME MT401 406 MHz EPIRB - Water Activated

Per fridaysoff's recommendation, and prudent research, I bought the ACR ResQFix 406 MHz GPS PLB, along with other survival gear...recent tragic events had me thinking overtime about what I can do better.;)

yhst-66001320615696_2040_852001.jpg

Back