EPIRB's

Dennis

Participating Member
City
Hamden
Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacons that's sure a mouthful. Does any body have a preference between ACR's Satellite 3 406 EPIRB cat II and McMURDO Smartfind 406 Cat 2 EPIRB. I want to purchse one or the other but would like some input. in fact if you have any other suggestion I'd like to read them.

I used to carry the Satfind Cat 1 406 Epirb but at the cost of over $300 for having the battery replaced I started looking at PLB's. I now carry a Mcmurdo fastfind 406 PLB w/gps. Total cost with shipping was $208 and it has a 5 year battery life. All my research shows it does exactly the same as a bulky Epirb but its the size of a pack of cigerettes. Just attach to your life vest. Thats my .02 cents

I just ordered an ACR Aqualink PLB. No experiences yet of course, but the size and price seem to me more suitable than the EPIRBs.

EPIRBs are registered to a vessel. PLBs are not registered, they just send a signal when activated. Be careful, the less expensive PLBs may not have a GPS. McMurdo makes two that look exactly the same except one has a GPS and the other doesn't.

Last edited:
Personal locator beacons are registered to a vessel. Personal PLBs are not registered, they just send a signal when activated. Be careful, the less expensive PLBs may not have a GPS. McMurdo makes two that look exactly the same except one has a GPS and the other doesn't.

Good advice, Barry. This one has GPS, and registration is required.......

"It is mandatory that you register your PLB. It's fast, easy and free www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov. When activated, the unique identification code in your PLB is linked to the registration database. This way authorities can retrieve valuable information about you and your trip.

The ACR AquaLink 406 is a satellite signaling device of last resort, for use when all other means of self rescue have been exhausted, where the situation is grave and imminent loss of life, limb, eyesight, or valuable property will occur without assistance."

I have a PLB by ACR. I think it is the Aquafix with GPS. You can take it anywhere you go.Hunting ,fishing,hiking. It goes with the person. Epirbs go with the boat.

John, I've wondered about this particular PLB (ACR Aqualink 406 PLB 2882) ever since I started researching EPIRBs and PLBs. And I've wondered ever since, why this is referred to as a PLB and not an EPIRB. The registration appears the same as the EPIRBs, to include the name of the owner, contact info, home port, address, etc, plus the name and type of vessel, and must be re-registered every two years. All these requirements are the same as the EPIRBs. The only difference that I notice is perhaps the quality (tolerances of electronic components, etc), and the size. The battery life is shorter, according to specs, but the output power is the same. Otherwise, I really find no reason they don't call this an EPIRB. Then there are the classifications of EPIRBs, which I'm not familiar with (Class I, ClassII). Perhaps more informed individuals could shed light on this, since all I know is what I've read on ACR's website. But whatever the differences, I don't think I need anything more than this.

Class 1 are automaticlly deployed and class 2 are manually deployed. I want to connect the EPIRB to my GPS system and you can't do that with a PLB. I go out alone in Long Island Sound and have gotten caught in some ruff seas heading home. I want the extra safety of a EPIRB with GPS capabilities.

Class 1 are automaticlly deployed and class 2 are manually deployed. I want to connect the EPIRB to my GPS system and you can't do that with a PLB. I go out alone in Long Island Sound and have gotten caught in some ruff seas heading home. I want the extra safety of a EPIRB with GPS capabilities.

Well, Dennis, one more time....... the PLB that I have just purchased has a built-in 66 channel GPS receiver which will send your GPS position to the SAR satellite. Not sure why I bothered typing all that before. By your definition, it would be a close equivalent to a Class II EPIRB (manually activated). I'm done.

For nearshore or inshore use, I would recommend a gps-equipped plb in lieu of an epirb. The cost and portability difference are huge advantages. Also, any sarsat beacon can be registered, and most are required to be (406mhz beacons in the US and Canada are required to be registered by law, older 121.5 beacons aren't able to carry id info and normally don't require registration)

Sent from my Honey Nook via Tapatalk

I want to thank every one for their responses. You've given me a lot to think about. I found the following on Landfall's site:
PLB or EPIRB?

[FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]PLBs were designed to give people in trouble a good chance of being rescued, whether they get lost or hurt in the backcountry, fall overboard, or their vessel sinks from under them. However, like all emergency equipment, they must be used correctly and within the limits of their performance.

A PLB is not a substitute for an EPIRB aboard an offshore vessel, largely because PLBs have a battery life in the neighborhood of only 24 hours. While your approximate location may be determined by the satellite-signaling 406Mhz beacon, it is the 121.5Mhz homing beacon that will bring a rescuer close to you. If you are well offshore, it could be far longer than 24 hours before a surface vessel can reach you. Furthermore, PLBs were designed to be carried by an individual; they lack the robust construction and permanent-mounting capability of a full-sized EPIRB.

For mariners, we believe that a PLB is a great device for two purposes.

First, its short-range 121.5Mhz homing signal is highly useful as an overboard recovery device "” if you have on board a radio direction finder that receives 121.5Mhz.

Second, a PLB can be a life-saver for near-shore fishermen, sea kayakers, and others who do not travel far from shore.

For offshore vessels, our strong advice is to stick to a rugged, vessel-mounted, long-lived EPIRB for the ultimate fall-back safety device for your vessel. Equip yourself and each crew member with a good auto-inflatable vest, a tether, and jacklines "” and use them. If you want the additional security of a homing device for locating crew overboard, make sure your vessel is also equipped with a suitable RDF.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Barry, You need to go back and check out the info on most of the PLB's. I had to register mine with NOAA and mine does contain an internal GPS. It transmits on 406 and 121.5 both. Yes it has a shorter battery life than a full blown EPIRB but 24 hours is the minimum. If I was running a 100 miles off shore then I would still be running my EPIRB.

McMurdo

Look at the 200 then the 210. Only difference is the added GPS.

Yes, the PLB may have to be registered to a human, but the EPIRB is registered to a vessel.

Makes no difference, signal goes out, response comes! And the signal locates the same for both (PLB or EPIRB) thanks to the GPS!

The main benefit of registration is so that the COPAS-SARSAT center has access to emergency contact information. A float plan on file with the USCG will also be available and will contain the necessary vessel info (in case the contact was unreachable or uninformed). What the beacon is specifcally tied to in the registration is practically irrelevant.

Back