Evaluating offshore distress communication....

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
Like a lot of boaters on here and elsewhere, I have Boat US towing insurance. The problem is how to get in touch with the tow boat operators when I'm way offshore. For the past few years, I have also subscribed to SPOT messenger service which is a satellite messenger that had the ability to directly summon Boat US towboat with your coordinates, when a button was pressed on the device. Seemed adequate for my emergency breakdown needs.

(I have EPIRBs for critical emergencies).

Well, SPOT made some recent undesirable changes. First, they raised their rates about 30% annually. That was bad enough, but then they cut ties with Boat US and no longer have direct summoning of Boat US Towboat. That was the last straw. I cancelled SPOT.

Sooooo, now back to how do I get in touch with Boat US if I need a tow way offshore out of the reach of VHF and cell service?

After evaluating all other satellite messenger devices and any other means I could find which would work anywhere, it boils down to Sat-Phones.

That's my situation. So now for the Question phase of this Thread.??????
1. Anyone have any other communication - contact ideas?
2. Anyone have any experience or recommendations of Sat-Phone phones and service providers.??
a.) Phone cost?
b.) Monthly or yearly service costs?
c.) Ease of use, connection issues, coverage, dropped calls, reliability, maintenance, recharging batteries, battery duration etc etc.??

Let's hear it Guys...............:)

BTW - I never did like SPOT anyway, because as a transmitter only, there was no way to know if anyone received your distress transmission for help. But, at the time it was better than nothing and Sat-Phones were outa reach cost wise.

Last edited:
Sorry, no help from me on sat-phones but I have read a lot of the same negative sentiment about Spot this year. I think it is a good concept but seems like they are taking advantage of consumers. They must be bleeding customers because they are always offering up rebates now.

Have you solicited any ideas from Boat US themselves to a solution? The few times I've spoke to them on the phone, they have been very helpful and knowledgeable.

Have you solicited any ideas from Boat US themselves to a solution? The few times I've spoke to them on the phone, they have been very helpful and knowledgeable.

I have little confidence when it comes to trusting Company or Corporate responses. They are too much about marketing and profits and too little on everything that counts.
I like to garner feedback from the actual users and real life experiences. Much more reliable. :cool:

Look into the inmarsat isatphone 2 I'm not sure of the yearly rate but it should do what you need to do I believe they work worldwide.

Back