First review 215CC comparing to 195cc

Maxg94

Participating Member
Premium Member
City
Middle River
I have had the 215cc for a month now and have spent time reworking my lift and adding options. The radio did not work. I just finished replacing that. No anchor tensioner, so I added one. No foot rest so added that(really needed with the leaning post when sitting) and also purchased the back rest from Merrit for the cooler seat.

What do I like verses the 195cc
The front really flares out to keep you drier in the rough water, The cockpit area still sits low at the back and easy to reach the water when pulling crab traps, I like the leaning post over the captain chairs and the t-top is nice with rods up top and shade. Lots of room to move around the back and front when fishing. More storage but still not much dry storage. Fish boxes nice but useless for anything but wet items since not dry? They do tend to bang when running in rough water. No more needing to drop that dang transom door when needing to trim up. Bolsters are nice but....

What do I miss from the 195cc
Front hoseshoe seating. This was better for the wives hanging out talking. Also filler panel is easy to put in and out. I do have the platform and cushion option on the 215 but very heavy and harder to put in and out.
My 195 did not have bolster cushions on the boat. This sound strange but all cushions and rear seats were removable so no need to worry about the sun destroying items. My boat sits on a lift all summer with just the console and captian seating area covered. Sun will kill the bolsters(hope 303 uv protectant works). The back seat rests on the 215 can be removed but protruding hooks remain. The step up to the front is a hazard. I cannot reach the inner hull drain while on my lift. I do get some prop chatter on 215cc with my ss prop at minimum RPM in gear. Probally not the boat but motor. Strange since they are both essentially the same motors. Very little trim or speed increase and this goes away. Those ping pong ball scuppers on the 215 will drive me nuts, but radio install will solve this. 195CC drains way better out the scuppers. It is not bad on the 215 but bad design since water always sits in the transom.

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
Republic of Texas
Nice comparison write-up. Kind of curious about the "dropping the dang transom door" comment. I've never had to do that to lift the outboard clear of the water. I did have to drop the door out by an oil rig once when a guest got some fishing line caught in the propshaft. Dropped the door, adjusted the tilt stop so I could lift the motor almost horizontal and stand on the swim platform to undo the line. My Suzuki won't hit the door with the tilt stop adjusted, and the lower unit still clears the water.

I might have bought the 215 back in '08 if I'd had a tow rig larger than my li'l Jeep Comanche pickup at the time. It was even iffy with the 195. Have a Tundra now. No sweat. :)

Maxg94

Participating Member
Premium Member
City
Middle River
The stock Honda 135 would hit the door when tilted up far. Let's see the first time it cracked it was my son, then my wife's brother and finally my other BIL went so far as to crack the whole door in half. I would always inform them of the issue, but they still panic when they would get into shallow water and not drop the door. The door was fianlly done in last year and I made a new one last winter. I did make the top piece very narrow so it gives it a little more room. I only trailer to and from the ramp 2 times a year, so I am not rated to pull this much with my Jeep but it does ok for the short ride if not pushing it.

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
A Bob's Machine Shop 6 or 8 inch setback bracket would prevent this issue completely. I don't sell them, but I did install one on my 235cc (and should have on my previous 215cc). Performance improvements and no longer have to drop the door (the 235cc has a door that MUST be dropped to raise the outboard all the way up).

I bet on that 215cc pushing the outboard back, even 6 inches, and bringing the outboard up would make a big improvement in already good performance.

Bob's Machine Shop

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
Republic of Texas
The stock Honda 135 would hit the door when tilted up far. Let's see the first time it cracked it was my son, then my wife's brother and finally my other BIL went so far as to crack the whole door in half. I would always inform them of the issue, but they still panic when they would get into shallow water and not drop the door. The door was fianlly done in last year and I made a new one last winter. I did make the top piece very narrow so it gives it a little more room. I only trailer to and from the ramp 2 times a year, so I am not rated to pull this much with my Jeep but it does ok for the short ride if not pushing it.
So you're saying the Honda doesn't have an adjustable tilt-up limit switch? I adjusted the limit switch on my Suzuki to stop before it hits the transom door. Of course, it's a moot question, now that you no longer own the 195. Just wondering in case one of our 195 owners brings this up in the future.

Maxg94

Participating Member
Premium Member
City
Middle River
Mike my neighbor might want to know this........but it is probably would stop lower than you have to go up to use the transom lever motor support. I used to put the motor up and support lever down when in the water sitting or trailering to the ramp.

Martin, I am not at the point of changing brackets and stuff. I need to get the new bluetooth radio to connect first.... That will be more impressive to my kids

Maxg94

Participating Member
Premium Member
City
Middle River
Also the Honda 150 is louder than the 135 which is a little disappointing. I would have though they would be the same or else my 135 happened to be from a good batch. I was not sure if having a t-top sends more sound waves back to my ears. I might play around and put original aluminum prop back on and play with the 60 lb smart tab settings. Right now I just have them @ the middle position. Not sure what other are getting buy 215CC with the ttop and Honda 150 I pop up on a plane with the tabs and top out @ 39 mph and 6100 RPM. Old 135 Honda on 195cc no ttop was 5600 rpm and 40 MPH. You would think the exact same prop on these two would behave the same RPMs but maybe I need to read the manual.