Fishing Rod Rack

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
After overhauling my rods I noticed that storing them in my garage was taking it's toll on the reels. So I decided to store them indoors in the the A/C. I looked everywhere for a decent rod rack that would hold my offshore reels and my spinners on the same rack (space is limited). No luck. So as usual I had to make my own.

Here's a couple of pics of the project getting started. I will post more as it is completed. The wood is Birch Plywood and I think I'm just gonna leave it natural and finish it in clear Poly. Trying to get it to hold 6 of my Penn Internationals and at least 6 of my large spinners. I might try to squeeze in a few more spinners.

Attachments

• P1011875.jpg
    P1011875.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 43
  • P9211876.JPG
    P9211876.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 42
  • P9231877.JPG
    P9231877.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 43
  • P9231879.jpg
    P9231879.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 48
  • P9231880.jpg
    P9231880.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 40
The finished product is coming.......just taking many more coats of poly than I expected. Very time consuming.:eek:

I just had too many to try to fit them all on this rack, so I decided to make another rack to hold the rest of the smaller rod and reels. Actually, I just wanted to keep this thread going.......LOL - ;)

Last edited:
Ok, done. Whew, 10 coats of clear poly. And don't believe that part about not needing to sand in between coats. Now, I just gotta finish spooling the reels with line. :)

The third pic shows the bolts in the holes that lock the gimbals on the rods for height and direction.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 26
  • PA021892.JPG
    PA021892.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 30
  • PA021893.JPG
    PA021893.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
That looks like it was a ton of work but as always you did awesome job on it

That looks like it was a ton of work but as always you did awesome job on it

It was more than I expected. Thanks for the compliment . :)

Funny thing, when I showed my wife....she asked if that was all my fishing rods....? To which I said....."no, I still have a dozen or so more". Without hesitation she then quipped... "Good, you still have a half sheet of plywood left so you can make another one real quick for those". --- Just like that...pop out another one.....like it only takes a couple of minutes.... Geez. ;)

Looks real nice, Bill. I need to do something like that.....one of these days....

looks great, after you build your 2nd you can start on 3 more for me to hold all my rods! maybe 4? :)

Might it be easier to finish putting the poly on before assembly? Do you have measurement plans so we can copy? I like that you alternate reels/rods from side to side.

Last edited:
looks great, after you build your 2nd you can start on 3 more for me to hold all my rods! maybe 4? :)

Might it be easier to finish putting the poly on before assembly? Do you have measurement plans so we can copy? I like that you alternate reels/rods from side to side.

The measurements are primarily based on the specific reels you are storing. They are not actually evenly spaced. Extra width for the 50SW's on each end. The depth was to make the reels fall within the rack, not hang out past the edge to bang into walls etc. The overall measurements for this one are - Width= 42" , depth= 16" bottom, 8" top, Height= 36". 3/4" Birch plywood. Rubber grippers I had laying around. Spax 3 1/2" screws, Varathane Semi-Gloss, water based poly. 3/4" U bracket casters w/locks. (Amazon) 1/4"x 4" st.st. bolts (for gimbals) Waterproof wood glue. The vertical crosspiece is 8" to accommodate the rubber clamps at different heights for the foregrips of the different style rods. (you can make that whatever you want based on the rods & type clamps you use)
As far as doing the poly before assembly.....would be easier but probably not a good idea as the pieces are glued and screwed together and the glue wouldn't adhere as well over poly. (kits at stores do that to make it easy to ship in pieces, an they use no glue)
My second rack is actually gonna be a little different then this one. A little more generic for use with my smaller rods and with plenty of spare spots for adding more later. (of course) ;)

Back