Follow up question about the V bunk support on the EZ Loader trailer.

SageAg

Registered Member
City
Dunnigan
I read a post by cmb 7684 asking the question about the V bunk support on the EZ Loader trailers for the 210-215 model Triumph. Am I correct in understanding that we do not need this V bunk support? If so why is it listed in section C for trailer diagram? I have had two separate people see my 210cc on the trailer and tell me that I need that V support. Could somebody please clear this up for me, Thanks.

I would certainly use a V bunk support at the keel. When I made my trailer, I ran one the whole length of keel and a pair on the flat strakes closest to the chine. Those being the strongest sections of the hull and consequently need adequate support to maintain the shape of the rest of the hull. Mine is a 2001 210 and been on my trailer since new. No warpage or bulges. But you really can't have too much support. So.....put as much support as you can, is a good rule of thumb.

9.jpg

Thanks for the replies. On to my next question. I had a sales person from EZ Loader trailer look at the triumph trailer diagram, he says they do not have a crossmember that will fit the EZ Loader to add the extra bow support. Do anybody know where I can buy what I need for the for the extra bow support. Thanks

Contact Chad Merritt at MerrittMarine.com. Chad would know about the bunk support.

Bill, I'm going to re do my trailer. Bought it with only two vertical bunks. Its looks like your V bunk has 2x6's and 2x4's on the flat strakes. Is that correct?

Bill, I'm going to re do my trailer. Bought it with only two vertical bunks. Its looks like your V bunk has 2x6's and 2x4's on the flat strakes. Is that correct?
The keel bunk is a pair of 2x8 PT. the side bunks are 4x8's mounted vertically (no bending or flex) on the trailer and cut to match the hulls angle and forward curve. The keel is doing the majority of the support. The sides primarily stabilize the hull. The side bunks also distribute the load for my boat by extending back under the aluminum motor bracket.

Whichever bunk layout you use, you want to make sure they extend slightly past the transom. That way the transom can carry some of the weight and prevent the bunks from dimpling the hull bottom by being just shy of the transom.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I always make sure the transom is well supported. I just wasn't sure of the size boards in your pic. I saw where the spec sheet called for 6 bunks of 2x6's. But what you have since 2001 with now issues must be working! Thanks as always Bill!!

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I always make sure the transom is well supported. I just wasn't sure of the size boards in your pic. I saw where the spec sheet called for 6 bunks of 2x6's. But what you have since 2001 with now issues must be working! Thanks as always Bill!!
What I have does work well and with no issues. But like I said is a post above.......You can't have too much support. Use as many bunks as you can or feel comfortable with. Here is a pic of a Rolls trailer with excellent bunk layout. I think it was Vic's.
full

One thing I will point out. There is a reason I made the center pair of of bunks so long and together in a V shape. The Keel, the chines and the transom are the strongest points of the hull. (that's because they are almost right angles) If possible, that is where you want to concentrate majority of any support. The running edge of the keel is strong and rigid. Once you move even a few inches away from the center on either side the hull will flex considerably and subsequently dimple or deform.
A lot of the bunk diagrams do not take that into consideration. Just food for thought. ;)

Back