Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
25-years-header-website.png

And if you would like to get involved with some ecosystem improvements, the CCA of Florida sent me this information / link for some ways to volunteer to help with various projects with the MDC "Marine Discovery Center" who's efforts are in the IRL (Indian River Lagoon) part of the State.

You can find those listed on this link:

https://www.marinediscoverycenter.org/mdc-conservation-science-updates/

And here is their homepage:

https://www.marinediscoverycenter.org/

If you go, please do grab some pictures and a quick write up of your efforts to share with the rest of our Members here :cool:

Tight Lines!
Dave

Thanks for posting that.

And if I might add, there is a an organization that is dedicated to preserving the Spoil Islands in the Indian River Lagoon called the Spoil Island Project (“SIP”).

“The Spoil Island Project is headed by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Indian River Lagoon Aquatic Preserves Office (IRLAP) with help from partner agencies and organizations. The Project is aimed at providing recreational opportunities on the many spoil islands throughout Florida’s Treasure and Space Coast regions, while at the same time, working to preserve or enhance ecological function.”

They also partner with the Friends of the Spoil Islands, which is a citizen support group for the SIP.

Recently, I, along with my wife and our neighbors, adopted a spoil island. One agrees to go out to the island and clean it up, collecting trash, etc., and reporting back to the SIP. We find it very rewarding And the island, and specifically “our” island, is a great place to have lunch and enjoy the IRL.

Their website is:

Here are photos we took earlier this week when we went to “our” island:

287B19DF-8CD8-49CA-8FC9-7395B216C183.jpeg

332AF442-2285-4E46-9FCF-418B1B4DBD7D.jpeg

That’s awesome! And I thank you for your efforts to help preserve our Great State!

Let’s start a feature on them and your efforts here on a targeted thread for sure!

My Best,
Dave

Back