Fuel transfer system

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
With all the ethanol problems, one of the methods I use is to transfer any remaining ethanol fuel from my boat's tank into my vehicles befor it has a chance to phase separate. Here are some pics of the contraption I came up with. Works great. The fuel pump moves about 4 gallons a minute. I also got a test kit and I pump out the first 5 gallons into a glass 5 gallon water bottle. That way I can test the fuel and visually check it for phase separation first. If it has, I dump the separated ethanol and pump the rest into my truck. Mix it with some 93 Octane & I'm good to go. A pain, but it works.......I always have fresh fuel in my boat when I go out, ethanol or nonethanol, whichever I can get. :cool:

The whole thing stores in a milk crate. The crate's design prevents fumes from collecting. I can slide out the mounting board to change the filter. The switch is ignition proof and the 20' discharge hose has quick disconnect fittings. Even put a squeeze bulb on intake in case it needs help priming. Pickup tube goes in thru the tank's sending unit hole. 18' battery leads clip to the boat or the vehicle battery. :D
transfer1.jpgtransfer2.jpgtransfer3.jpgtransfer4.jpg
pencil.png

Hope the truck doesn't find out...

Poor, poor truck, always getting the bad gas. :(

Ok Capt Bill
I see the pictures, great system, but you are going to have to give me some more information. What am I looking at, What power supply are you using to get the pumps moving the fuel, and any other information that a poor unlightened new boat owner could use.
As always, thank you
Dave

Ok Capt Bill
I see the pictures, great system, but you are going to have to give me some more information. What am I looking at, What power supply are you using to get the pumps moving the fuel, and any other information that a poor unlightened new boat owner could use.
As always, thank you
Dave

The power is either the boat or the vehicle your transferring the fuel to. Thus the 18' wire cable and the battery clips. Just clip to the battery and flip the switch. The reason I use a switch is to avoid sparks when messing with the clips while or after pumping. :p

I don't remember off hand. I will take some close-ups of the pump and see if I can find the receipt where I bought it.

I was also thinking of purchasing or making one. I assume the blue hose is the draw hose. It seems a little short. You must have direct access to your fuel tank. I don't see any direct access to my 170 CC other than through the fuel filler. Do you think you could simply insert the draw hose down the filler and into the fuel tank that way. Might there be a filter or gauze in the way to prevent this? Or do you attach the draw hose to the engine feed hose?

Thanks P&P

Yes, I do have access to my fuel tank. And the blue tube is the pickup (suction). I wanted the ability to get every last drop out of the tank (water included), so I used a pickup tube I could direct into any corner of the tank. I go in thru the opening for the fuel gauge sending unit. Remove the sending unit and insert the pickup tube in the hole. I don't do it often, so it's not a big deal. Also give me a chance to inspect the sending unit and clean the contacts.

You could also use the tank's pickup as well or tap in anywhere along the fuel system intake before the fuel filter. But that pickup is usually slightly off the bottom of the tank to prevent sucking up debris, so it would leave both the debris and water behind and defeat the point.
Since I made this transfer system and switched to NON-Ethanol fuel......I have had no further issues or engine problems. :)

And as far as inserting the pickup down the filler tube......I doubt that would be very effective. The filler is usually at the front and or highest point of your tank......completely the opposite of where water and debris would accumulate as well as not affording the ability to get all the fuel out. :eek:
attachment.php

Attachments

• draining tank.jpg
    draining tank.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
i have never had fuel issues (water) but i do run non-ethanol fuel and fuel treaments. i do not have a fuel water separator on my motor. i am going to put my boat in the shop to get a tune up this month,i will be getting one put on than.where is the best place to put one on a 215cc.i was thinking under the left back seat by the oil tank if there is enough room . what is a good brand, parker ect. ?? maybe i should of put this post in the 215cc fourm but i am sure someone here can help.

where is the best place to put one on a 215cc.i was thinking under the left back seat by the oil tank if there is enough room . what is a good brand, parker ect. ??

I can't help you there.....(my 210 is modified and different) other than to say put it close to the engine and where any drained or spilled fuel won't dump into the hull or bilge. (ie: motor/splash well) My fuel/water sep. is a Racor with a clear water bowl on the bottom that I can drain periodically. (same as the one in my fuel transfer system)

here's a pic of a location example on a 210/215....

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Back