Gas shocks for compartment lids

Germik

Registered Member
Premium Member
I'm trying to install a gas shock for my live well lid. I've been able to get it to work pretty good, but I want it to be able to open by itself, with out bending over to give it's starting boost. The turn latch would keep it closed when not in use. Has anyone tried this? I would think its only a mater of proper mounting. Two suppliers helped in picking the length and force of the shock, but they quit communicating with me about the mounting.

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Use springs, cost less and work just as well in my opinion and I have installed them on several of my past Boats and Skiffs

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
See this link

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida

Germik

Registered Member
Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. I've got my new gas shock installed like the one in your photo. It works fine by holding the lid open, then to close the lid, you just give it a push. I just was wondering if there was a different mounting of the shock to have it open on its own force? I'd like to be able to open my live well lid without having to get up and off my fishing seat. I could open and close the lid with my foot. It may seem to be a crazy idea, but I'm getting more crippled up each year. So to be able to keep fishing by myself, I make everything easy to use or reach. Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
You really need a powered system that operates on a switch, problem is... I would not know how well such a system would work or hold up that exposed to saltwater?