gps antenna under bimini

BigBird

Participating Member
City
CHARLOTTE
Does anyone have a problem with their gps with the antenna positioned under the bimini top? I mounted the antenna on the upper grab rail above the windshield but wonder if that was a good idea?
Mounting on the transom or otherise makes more complicated and would be easier damaged.
Thanks

BigBird,
You should be OK. I had a GPS with an internal antenna and I never lost a signal wirh my bimini top up. You should be fine with an external antenna.
John D.

I have a garmin with internal antenna mounted in the box on the helm of a 195CC. To my surprise the dealer said he mounts them like that all the time with no problems. Sure enough, it picks up the signals just fine without an external antenna so the bimini I suspect would not be a big problem. External antenna just seals the deal even better! John

No problem with my Garmin 72 with internal antenna. Works great.

Thanks picture of mount

Thanks for the update. Just wanted to make sure i hadnt wasted my time. Learning the nuances of high tech.
See picture of mount above windshield and the proud kids with new "used" boat.

Attachments

• kids and boat.jpg
    kids and boat.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 37
gps under bimini-reset problem solved

The problem I was having with gps was not antenna related. Due to a post from someone on site from another post- I reset my factory settings on the new unit and unit immediately started aquiring satellites and tracking properly. I overlooked the magic button.

An Interesting GPS problem

Hi BB,

While fishing on Sunday, I noticed that my Garmin GPS 72 would crash. Screen go blank or blank with a vertical line. This has happened for the past few months. When the GPS crashed, I would have to disconnect power and remove batteries before I could turn it back on; sort of like a reset.

I spoke to Garmin. They stated there is a software issue when using the WAAS feature. They are working on a fix and suggested turning off the WAAS for now.

The web site is:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00309-00&cID=161&pID=214

GPS Antenna

I followed this thread for the past few weeks but did not post until I returned from a trip this (4th) weekend.

Purchased 195 CC w/ Lowrance 522C iGPS with internal antenna. Took delivery in in April '08. The boat has a factory option T-Top. Made two, 5-day trips to the Cape Lookout area with the new rig. This GPS unit would loose signal so frequently we turned the radio up to cover the chirps from lost and found signal.

Had this GPS replaced with Lowrance 525C DF with external antenna. The new unit "found" signal very quickly and never lost signal one time in a full day of operation. The external antenna is mounted on the T-Top at the end of a vertical support with the wire fed down through the same post to the CC. Installed by my marine dealer. Very pleased with the GPS operation but have a lot to learn to more fully use the capibilities of this unit.

Also plan to buy a Navonics Gold # SD/16XG to up grade the detail on the GPS screen. Any experience out there with this enhancement???

Thanks.

Back