Grouper time in the Gulf

Fishin' DC's

Participating Member
City
Gainesville
State
FL
The grouper bite has been red hot in the Gulf the past couple of weekends. Two weekends ago, my wife and I went out with some fellow members of the Gainesville Offshore Fishing Club and fished out of Cedar Key. Our best bite came drifting live bait in 45 feet where we boated 6 keepers: 2 red grouper (wife's 10lb was the big fish) and 4 gags from 7-9 lbs.

This past weekend, my wife and I went back out and started out trying to find live bait and, after three bait stops, had only one livie to show for it...it would be a trolling day. We trolled an area in 28 feet and boated 7 keeper gags. My wife, again, landed the big fish for the day. She brought in a 14lb 5oz. gag on a black/brown Stretch 25. We continued to troll and picked up 6 more fish during the day ranging from 6-9 lbs. The big fish for the day (not caught), is still out there. My wife hooked up with him and after a few rod bucks down to the gunnel, got off. I started reeling my plug in and he gets on my plug, pulling me to the gunnel as well, but also ended up getting off. We looked at our plugs after we got them into the boat and both had the treble hooks straightened out. :eek: Stretch 25 trebles are stout, so it must have been some fish to straighten two sets of hooks within 3 minutes of each other. My first thought was maybe it was a goliath grouper. It was a hoss, whatever it was.

I've tried attaching some pictures of the fish, so hopefully it'll work. Get out and go after 'em boys, time's a wastin'. Good luck and good fishin'.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg