Hello all:

JVES

Registered Member
City
Tampa
My wife and I moved here from New Mexico. Brand new member. Brand new Triumph 170 DC owner. Will take delivery of boat sometime next week and then comes the fun of rigging her out. Have owned a 17' Hydrosports skiff and a 14' Lowe jonboat, but never before a vessel made from plastic. Anything I should know before screwing things in - rod holders, fish finders, radios, and such? Also looking for fishing buddies in the Tampa area. Am located on a fine bass lake with plenty of catfish, too, but this inshore flats fishing is a real steep learning curve for me.

..., but never before a vessel made from plastic. Anything I should know before screwing things in - rod holders, fish finders, radios, and such?

The one thing to remember when screwing things into the Roplene is to not overtighten. Just get them snug and stop. Also, add a little bit of Rule (actually Sudbury Elastomeric Marine Sealant) on the screw before you tighten it and it will stay in place. Good luck and congrats on your new ride.

JVES
I live in Bradenton ( below Tampa) and have a 2004 170 Bass model. What lake do you live on in the Tampa area? I am always looking for Bass fishing in our area.
davekfl

Davefkl

Cory Lake. It's a private lake near Bruce B. Downs and Morris Bridge Road in New Tampa. E-mail me at jmves@tampabay.rr.com if you ever want to drive up and fish for bass.

Hey CAGROVE:
Thank you for the tip on not overtightening screws. Good to know.

this inshore flats fishing is a real steep learning curve for me.

Welcome Aboard,
A fish is a fish and they all pretty much think the same way. We have a Flats Fishing section for saltwater skinny water that has a lot of information already in it. As far as the learning curves goes, here is the most basic things to remember....

• Nothing affects a fish more (Snook the most) than water temps and they can detect a 50th of a degree change.
  • Remember to look for ambush points this includes docks and points. Many flats fish are ambush feeders with Reds being the ones that "actively" search out food and follow Mullet schools many times much more than all the others.
  • Birds feeding and "standing" in certain locations "tells" me a lot ;)
  • Stealth is key... One mush shut down and pole or wind drift onto many such spots. Fish in skinny clear water are very nervous fish. You can talk all you want, but CD players, dropping or falling over things on the deck, changing trolling motor speeds, dropping an anchor over the side, and fish finders (which do no good in a foot of water) all will flush out fish like a covey of Quail :mad:
  • Fluorocarbon leaders and loop knots will increase your hook ups greatly :)
  • Many of your Bass lures will work just fine on the flats, here again a fish is a fish. Match the local forage (both bait fish and shrimp and crabs) and you will get hits.
  • I don't get all hung up on tides like many do. I fish when I can and just look for some kind of water movement. I use low tide conditions for scouting since I can see the bottom structure (grass or oyster beds and or small channels) and incoming tides to float into such areas when possible.
  • Goggle Earth saves me time and fuel in finding new flats to fish for sure.
Hope this helps?

Putershark:

Thanks for the fishing tips. You're right, it's all common sense. I've fished bass, walleye, northern pike and trout for fifty years, plus all the pelagics one finds in Mexico and Central America, but the snook and the reds have so far got me baffled. Plan to hire a guide one of these days and learn from him. Thanks again.

Most Welcome :D

Need to go back and add a few more things to the above list, but till then one also needs...
  • A good pair of Polarized sunglasses and at times, a "Buff" and a cool ball cap or visor to help stop any light leaking into the top and sides of your face. This also saves from getting sun-fried ;)
46-16-foto.jpg

http://www.buff.es/en/catalog_headwear.php?t=1

Back