Help with Navigation Lights CB

wileescott

Registered Member
City
California
Hi All,

I have been enjoying the summer salt life but last night ran into a snag. My Nav lights are shorting out somehow. I own a 08 191F/S and love it but I'm not real comfortable with the look of the wiring going on behind that dash. When I play with the circut breaker, the power to the lights comes and goes. Anybody had this happen? What AMP CB is that? I'm leary to get this solved but I also don't have very many experts around here. Should I just jump it?

Any help is appreciated!!

Scott

OspreyVic

Contributing Member
City
Osprey
Scott, all things electrical on any boat can be a big problem. Where did any of us ever hear that water and electricity got along well together? I am NOT suggesting that everyone needs to do all that we did, but you might want to look in the "Articles" section and read what we did to our 210CC. We found that doing everything we did helped us greatly understand what we had for an electrical system, made it much easier to maintain, and made the whole system more reliable.

Good luck, and safe boating.

wileescott

Registered Member
City
California
Vic,

I'll look into the article you referenced. I'm slowly getting the nerve to attack the CB and see what I can find out. The first step which will probably be largely unrelated is to install a newer and better BlueSea fuse panel. Then I will move to the short area and try to meet the two ends of power flow in the middle. If I can get good power to the dash area, I can work the switch and CB more easily. MAN I HATE SHORTS!

Thanks for the advice.
Scott

rscott

Contributing Member
City
Mentor
What kind of all around (white) light do you have. Mine is the type that is an integral part of the console handrail, around the windshield, on a 195cc. The wires run through the center handrail that goes verticaly in the center of the windshield. At the point it attaches to the console the wires were rubbed bare and were shorting intermittently. Fiding that solved a lot of headaches for me.

wileescott

Registered Member
City
California
Rscott,

My white light is the kind that inserts into a power female socket at the aft end of the deck (beside the motor, starboard side). I will look the wires over for rub through but the short seems to come and go when I play with the CB. That should seem to indicate the short is behind the dash... right???

Scott

wileescott

Registered Member
City
California
Owners,

Disclaimer… I am not an electrical engineer! I did manage to fix my dash electrical short though! In the process I learned some things I would like to pass on. For reference I own a 2008 191F&S and I have had a short in my Navigation lighting for some time. The summer fun has forced me to deal with it. After removing the 9 or so SS screws on my dash circuit breaker and switch panel I found out it is somewhat glued in place with this tacky weather strip product. Push with your fingers from behind and the dash pops of slowly. After a careful inspection…, the circuit breaker for the Nav and the bilge fell apart in my hands. They are not made very well at all, IMHO. The tough part was finding a replacement that will fit that small area. There are three replacements I found but the best made one was BlueSea.

After a day of phone calls and an hour drive to Annapolis I found out that: BlueSea makes part number 2130 which is a solid built replacement for our 3AMP, waterproof CBs. Better yet, it fits perfect in there even though it is a tad bigger. No drilling required and wiring is snug and well placed with no trimming or extensions needed. Even better yet, the weatherproof caps that came with our boats, fits on the new BlueSea CB! Now there will be people that will notice that the BlueSea CB is a 5AMP and ours was a 3AMP but I am not that concerned with the difference. Any thoughts here (read first sentence of this post again please)?

So after all the work to install the new BlueSea dash power distro block up front and sorting out the short for the Nav lights and bilge, she is all up and up. Even took her out for a sunset fishing trip and came home with dinner. How’s that for a happy ending!

Thanks to all for the assistance,

WileE

pamarine

Contributing Member
City
Portsmouth
State
VA
The part number you wanted was 2129 for the screw terminals or 7050 for the QD terminals. The wiring will handle the extra amperage no problem because the smallest wire they can use for electrical supply is 16AWG (exception is electronics) under the ABYC/NMMA, but the lights, if spec'd for a 3amp fuse/breaker, may be damaged by the extra current.

Of course this will only happen in a surge situation, as generally the device will draw whatever its operating current is at voltage (most likely 1-2 amps).

But as to using Blue Sea products, I install them almost exclusively. Even my custom panels are designed to use their products, as they are the best out there imo.

wileescott

Registered Member
City
California
Thanks Frank, The system is working out very well now. The Blue Sea fuse pannel and new CB give me much more confidence. It will also make the new GPS/sounder easier to install! Leaning toward a Garmin 541S.

Scott

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
I stuck this thread for I felt it was some great information. If you could also post some pictures or product links I think that would help round out the project info for others to use in the future ;)