Hook Configuration

Do you press down the barbs on your lure hooks?

• I do "not" on all of my Hooks

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • I do on "all" of my Hooks

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I do only "some" of my Hooks

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I do, but only on my J and Circle Hooks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do, but only on my Treble Hooks

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Survey Time again ;)

Now I know the reason why barbs are placed on hooks, but to not lead the witness or rig the results in any way :D The survey question is...

Do you press down the barbs on your lure hooks or not?

Then after voting, feel free to respond as to why you do, or do not on the artificial baits that you throw and any trends you have noticed because of such, one way or another :)

I fish for Pike in Canada once a year with a couple of friends that convinced me that it is much easier to get the treble hooks on a Mepps Cyclops spoon out of the mouth of one of those toothy creatures. Even with jaw spreaders and neednose pliers and barbless hooks, it can be a fun time for all if the Pike isn't all that tired out when you bring him on board.

All of my flies are barbless and any rod that I use to catch bait with I pinch down the barbs. Other than that, the barbs stay on.

thats what a dehooker is for guys, a good one is a hooker de- hooker. ala. law now makes you have some kind of dehooker on your boat if you are reef fishing. and nop needle nose pliers want do it has to be some kind of de-hooker. and no i dont take barbs off ,its not a hook if you do that........:):)

Leave them on! I cannot stand the sight of a fish geting off when you have fished hard all day long for it. They are there for a purpose and I like that purpose. Mine stay :)!

yup.....bend/break them off. Might as well give them a fighting chance and if they are not within the limit it does a lot less harm

Barbs have their place until they're embedded in your hand, leg or other dangling appendages. After getting hooked by the business end of those things twice, you'd think I'd bend them down...but I don't. Maybe after the next time I'll have a change of heart.

amen to that junkie1.... fight one for 20mins. and he gets off it want be because my hook didnt have a barb on it...... thats like dove hunting with half the pellets in the shot gun shell... the odds go way down.......and i am not that good of a fisher, i need all the odds i can get to put one in the boat...........

Puter I have, in all honesty , never bent the barb on any hook. Now having said that and being an old timer I will continue to read and learn "never to old to learn" and make changes that will improve the future of fishing. JEB

Now that this one has ran for a while (thanks for all the votes!) I thought I would go though some the theories and usages for barbs on hooks and when not to have them ;)

• Contrary to popular belief, barbs are put on hooks to hold bait on and "not" a fish.
  • Tarpon have a mouth like a cinder black, Redfish have thick lips and Snook strike and then turn. Having a barb much like having a dull hook, only slows down the ability for the hook to sink in :(.
  • Some say that they will loose more fish if they press down the barb. Not really, not getting the hook set in the first place and allowing the line to go slack is what allows most fish to get free... The only time I allow a fish to have a slack line is when they jump :) this so they do not part the line when they land... :eek:
  • Take the time to hold one of your crankbaits (void of hooks of course) in your hand, and then have somebody walk 40 yards away from you with it tied onto your favorite Rod, Reel, and Leader combo and then have them go though the act of setting the hook... Notice just how little movement there is in the bait...? You will discover real fast just how much hook setting and lifting power you really have. One of my past Saltwater Fly Fishing Guru's taught me that aspect of "you really only have as much lifting and drag power on any fish, as the rod can lift in weight off of the floor" Well with most that rods that is not much. So do you want to drive a dull nail though a fishes mouth or a sharp needle point?
  • Though I use a Boca Grip to grab my fish, I have made the mistake of "lipping" a few and then getting a hook in my hand. Trust me, not having that barb sure makes getting it back out much less painless :D
  • Here of late I have been targeting big Gator sized Trout. These are the breeders of the next generation of Trout (or as we call them Sow Trout) and I release all of them. Not having the dig hooks out of their face for minuets on end, only helps to ensure that they will survive when I put them back :)
So try pressing them down and see if your hook up ratio improves or not, and then feel free to come back and change your vote if needed :cool:

Tight Lines!

How about circle hooks?

They're (relatively) new to the recreational fishing world, but have been used by commercial guys for decades.

They catch the corner of the fish mouth, as they swim off with the bait...and it starts coming up the gullet. No striking or setting (you'll just pull the whole affair out to fast to hook), you just pick up the rod and reel them in.

I just started using them, and find the work as billed--the fish sets the hook himself, in an area that's easily penetrated (vice the roof of the mouth, that's adapted to deal with fish bones and other spiny delights, as a matter of course).

Oh, the other advertised benefit of the circle hook is easy removal--no swallowed/gut hooked fish; they're considered by some to be a great "catch & release" hook.

BTW, forgive me if they're old news to you guys...I just learned about them this summer. Been 25 years since I fished (no, I *wasn't* in prison :p ), and Eagle Claw wasn't selling them OTC back then!

I try to remove the barb on all my circle hooks when I am fishing for Red Drum. I have do so and never had a problem with losing a fish. As long as you keep constant pressure on the line and do not let them get any slack in the line you will be all right without a bard.

In the Pacific Northwest you cannot have a barb on a hook to fish for salmon and in some streams you must have barbless hooks. Never had a problem up there keeping a fish on a hook.

You can lose a fish on a barbed hook as easy as a barbless hook if you do not keep the slack out of the line. Seen lots of fish lose to that fact...also excess playing of fish and jerking back on them starts to make the hook hole larger and larger. Then a little slack line and the fish jumps and the hook in gone in seconds.

Circle hooks tend to hook most of the fish in the corner of the mouth. I use them for red drum and catfishing...:)

Barbless makes for easy hook removal on fish you are going to throw back..

<*)))))>{

Back