Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
Hi ALL,
I have always wondered, never knew,and never cleaned. MY ELECTRONICS screens. They are getting smerred by salt spray, and what ever. How and what can you use to clean them. They do not feel like glass, more like plastic. HELLLLP :D

After a day of salt and spray...

Hi Gen,When the day is done, I wash the boat with boat soap mixed with water. I gently wash all the electronics, including the screens and gently rinse off with fresh water. Never use windex or any other chemical cleaner on the electronics, screens or even the windscreens on the center console. The chemicals will dull the plastic.

Electronics Cleaning

BarryB is right, never use any chemical cleaners on your electronics. Most manufacturers simply say wipe the screen gently with a microfiber or terry cloth towel with warm water on it. And very very mild soap and water solution is also ok. What you will find is too much soap and the Anti-reflective coating will dissappear. To make you feel better, it will anyway regardless of cleaning method. Anything else will void the warranty.

here is what my garmin manual says

cleaning the screen
The units lens is coated with special anti-reflective coatings that is senstive to skin oils, waxes and abrasive cleaners. cleaners containing ammonia, alcohol, abrasives, or anti-grease detergents will harm the anti-reflective coatings. it is inmortant to clean the lens using a eyeglass lens cleaner (that is safe for anti-reflective coatings) and a clean, lint-free cloth.

Back