I am OspreyVic

OspreyVic

Contributing Member
City
Osprey
Hello, I am OspreyVic, or Vic in Osprey Florida. I am fortunate to be a moderator on this Triumph owner's site. It is just my way of saying thanks for all of the great information that is shared by so many.

As of January 2005, I do not own a Triumph. I have been researching boats for my family for at least three years, just waiting for retirement, and I retired in November 2004. A new Triumph 210CC is on order, and the dealer has stated that it should be finished at the factory on February 7, 2005.

I have lived and worked in Florida since 1973. In 2002 we built a new home that would be for our retirement. The garage was built larger than normal so we could have a boat, so my first job was to find a boat that the family would like. In my family, "if mama ain't happy then no one is happy." Wife said she had to have a porta potti and shade. That has been solved. We have a 17 year old son, so a boat that could take a few hard licks without breaking would be a good thing. Besides, as I get older, I will be the one hitting the dock a little hard. The last time I owned a boat I was in my early 20's living in northwest Alabama, so learning what to purchase now has been a long yet enjoyable journey.

Like many, I started out wanting the "perfect" boat. Unfortunately, I found that the perfect boat is not being manufactured, and if it was, I could not afford it. Manufacturers build boats differently, just like automobile manufacturers. Some have more cup holders than others. Based on my investigation, and the testimony of others on this site, the 210 CC Triumph is the right boat for my family.

The Triumph 210 CC is: a) large enough for us to go fishing in the Gulf, b) the mega storage hold is deep enough that my wife can have her porta potti and not be seen by others, c) we never have to wax it, d) the material will not fade, chip, or peel, e) the material much more impact resistant than fiberglass, bang this thing into a pylon, the dock, a concrete ramp and you will not have damage like you would in a fiberglass boat, f) the Triumph has a Lifetime Hull Limited Warranty that covers structural problems.

So yes, I have a lot to learn. I need to learn more about our new boat, more about trailering the boat, more about fishing in the boat, and more about spending time with my wife and son in our new boat.

It is with the help and assistance of LogicDave and others from the old owner's site, and the guidance offered my many at this site that has made my search for knowledge about boating and fishing so enjoyable.

As our new boat comes together, and we adopt many of the items shared on this site, we will share with others what we have done.

We thank Randy for the opportunity to help in any small way on this site, and look forward to reading, learning, and eventually being able to share our experiences with others.

Vic in Osprey Florida

Thanks Vic for all your help in making this site happen and in keeping it going. Your input has been invaluable. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the new boat in the Gallery!

Boat is Home

I just got home - our new 210 CC in tow.

Will post pictures after she is clean, and I have had some rest.

The boat is also in our garage, a little sideways, but just to tired to have it in right.

Vic

What dealer

Vic
I am curious as to where you purchased your Triumph. I bought my 170 bass last year from Marlin Marine in st. pete but they went out of business. I was going to take my boat to Island Marine in Bradenton for the 10hr Yamaha engine service but their pricing is way out of whack so I ended taking it to Cannon Marine on Longboat Key for engine service.
Dave - Sarasota

Dave, as you can see from my posted pictures, I have done things that are beyond the norm for the majority of Triumph 210 owners. A different trailer and a radar arch are just the items you can see in my pictures. The 210 in my garage is the only one I have seen on a Rolls Axle trailer (made in Plant City, FL), and the only one with a radar arch, that can fold down so everything fits into the garage (the arch came from Merritt Marine). The trailer solves the garage length problem for us, and the radar arch solves the height, shade, and with the radome, our Florida weather surprises. A more complete list of additions / changes that have been or will be made, with my reasons as to why, will be posted in the future. I am not saying that what I have done to the 210 CC is correct or right for everyone, but they work for me and my family.

As a moderator on this site, I have had the opportunity and the pleasure to work very closely with all of the great folks at Merritt Marine. When it came down to fish or cut bait time, it was their overwhelming knowledge of the Triumph products that led me in their direction. I was willing to pay the price of driving close to 800 miles each way, paying for the motel room, having a tired back, eating at fast food joints, and a credit card that yelled ouch at paying the high price of interstate gas, just to make sure that I had access to the Merritt Marine knowledge. Did I pay more or less for my boat? I don't know. But in my mind I did have the most knowledgeable people help and guide me. As I understand, and I could be stating this incorrectly, they sell a lot of boats, not only to folks in North Carolina and the South, but to people in different countries as well as to customers in Alaska and our country's great western states. They just sell Triumph boats, no other brands, and have been doing so for many years. Carl Merritt, the owner, is just a wealth of knowledge about boating and especially Triumph boats. Dick Cabble helps all of us on this web site as well as the many Merritt Marine customers. Dick is also very knowledgeable of Triumph in that he used to work there. As a side note, Dick used to live in Florida, but on that other coast.

Triumph has a lot of great dealers, including some wonderful and honest folks in Florida, but what I wanted and the fact that I am extremely fussy (some have used the word fanatical), led me their way. Besides, I wanted to show the folks at Triumph my new trailer (will anyone buy that excuse?).

Now I am in the same boat you are. I have to find a Yamaha dealer. Would you recommend the folks at Cannon Marine? Siesta Key Marina is also a Yamaha dealer, but I have no prior experience with anyone. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Now we are going thru the process of buying all of the gear that will make us Coast Guard approved. Then we will work on the electronics package. I have already contacted some folks about a radar mount, so we are just moving ahead, but slower than we really want to. We also have a wife with a "honey-do" list, and she will not let me slide that much.

Next week I hope to take the boat and trailer back to the builder Rolls Axle. The roller on the winch stand needs to be adjusted so that the roller hits the bow hook. They have already indicated that they would also work to get the trailer balanced correctly as to the amount of weight on the hitch. I also need to ask them about the ball mount and what I need to purchase as far as more of a drop is concerned. They did a great job, considering this is their first trailer for a Triumph 210 CC.

In some cases, it just seams like one step forward and two steps back, but everything has to be right.

As a new Triumph owner, I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Vic in Osprey FL

Yamaha service

Vic
This was the first time I took my Yamaha engine to Cannon's on Longboat key. My first impression was positive. Other folks have also recommended them to me. They are a little out of the way since they are on the north end of Longboat key but it's ok for me since I really live in Manatee County. I dont have any experience with Siesta Key.
Dave K

OspryVic

I would like a radar arch like yours, where can I get one! :)

Contact the folks at Merritt Marine. They can fix you up. The arch is GREAT, you will not be disapointed. More shade than a T-top and easy to put up and down.

I did not put together the least expensive Triumph, but we do have what makes the family happy. And that is what counts.

OspreyVic

I have really missed being on this web site for the past six (6) weeks plus. Unfortunately I had a detached retina in my left eye, and after emergency surgery, the doctor said I could NOT be on the computer, drive a car, read a newspaper –magazine – or book, go for a boat ride (sever withdrawal), sleep on my back, walk the dog, etc.

I had to sleep on my left side, and about all I could do besides sleep was sit at least twenty (20) feet from the TV set. This was mind numbing. While I certainly not want the devastation that the hurricanes brought to the gulf coast of our country, it at least gave me something to watch on TV.

We hope to take the boat out tomorrow (weather permitting) and I can try to get up to speed on all of the forum posts.

I really missed all of you.

Glad you're feeling better brother! We really missed the "Triumph Owners Welcome Wagon" guy around here and I'm glad you're back up and about! Also forgot, bleated Birthday wish's to you so now go fishing will ya :D

You should have called me to let me know if nothing, I could have drove down and we could had gone has gotten some seafood and sat in your boat and at least discussed your next upgrade project (as if you have any left? ) to help get your mind off things.

Take care!
Dave

Vic - I was just thinking about sending you a PM or one to Randy to see what was going on with you. Got concerned but feel better now knowing that it was nothing too serious. Sorry that you've been out of commission and certainly glad to see you back.

Back