Installed a Bob's Machine True Tracker Stabilizer Plate

mrgreencms

Participating Member
City
Woodbine
Hello to all. I recently installed one of these plates on my engine and it is working well so far. Noticed a difference in getting up on plane and lowering the RPM's to stay on plane.

1-37.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Bill...I got the same impression. mrgreencms, I have Bob's Machine True Tracker stabilizer plate on mine, too, and also found it to be very effective. I considered trim tabs for a long time, but the stabilizer plate worked so well that I decided to forego the trim tabs.

Thanks. I am talking about the stablizer plate. I have had my boat out twice this year since I put it on and I am seeing benefits already. I can achieve plane faster, run at lower rpms and remain on plane. It was easy to install and appears to be working as advertized.

Are there REAL benefits to installing one of these? $ seems reasonable.

https://bobsmachine.com/product/true-tracker-stabilizer-plate-90-hp/

Why do they put this caution: "Not recommended with Offshore applications"
BR, most of my fishing is done offshore. I run in 4-6' seas all the time (not on plane), and in two foot chop on plane and have not seen any indication of stress on the lower unit or the stabilizer plate itself. It's been on there for over two years now. I think the manufacturer is just covering his butt, in case some idiot thinks he's running on a PWC and jumping over swells, etc. The thing is, it has little or no effect when the boat is off plane anyway, and if one is dumb enough to be on a small craft, on plane, offshore with large swells, he probably doesn't have enough sense to realize any damage caused was the fault of the boater and not the product. By the way, I'm powered by a Suzuki DF150 also. You'll find that the plate covers quite a bit of the slots in the bottom of the motor's cavitation plate. See this
https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/ports-on-suzuki-df150.6733/
As it turns out, covering the slots with the plate has been a non-issue.

OK got my Bob's stabilizer plate today and installed. With a little pre-grinding around the opening I was able to round the corners and get the plate to shift forwards about 1/2-3/4" and sit flatter. This also exposed much more of the vents Mike on the Mikaela Rose was worried about. See bottom view between the 2 mounting screws, originally was a rectangular cutout with square corners. From the top view the Bob's fins now fit tight(er) up against the motor flare.

Attachments

• Bob's plate top.jpg
    Bob's plate top.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Bob's plate bottom.jpg
    Bob's plate bottom.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 82
I think you'll like it.....let us know what ya think. Out of curiosity, what is the prop size on your DF150?

Mine came with a 3x16x18.5 SS. I'm real happy with the setup.

I have had a BMS plate for a year now. Finally got around to installing it - boat is on a lift so I don't have too many opportunities for this kind of work. Took a big gulp and drilled the holes in my Yam 60. Bottom line after spending some time on the water - it is well worth the money. My 170cc is much more stable, pops up on plane quicker, is easier to handle in choppy water, goes a little faster, and seems to sip gas even more than before. The motor seems less stressed and revs much easier. Also whitens teeth and does dishes. :D All good stuff!

I have had a BMS plate for a year now. Finally got around to installing it - boat is on a lift so I don't have too many opportunities for this kind of work. Took a big gulp and drilled the holes in my Yam 60. Bottom line after spending some time on the water - it is well worth the money. My 170cc is much more stable, pops up on plane quicker, is easier to handle in choppy water, goes a little faster, and seems to sip gas even more than before. The motor seems less stressed and revs much easier. Also whitens teeth and does dishes. :D All good stuff!

Been running my Bob's for couple months now and had similar POSITIVE views, except mine doesn't do the dishes!

I know this is a really old thread, but has anyone had experience using this device on a larger outboard? 250 or 300?

Steve from BMS is now a member of the Site and when I return, if he has not already seen this, I will reach out to him for comment on that use ;)

Dave

Thank you sir.

After I brought the 235 home and went through the systems, I started experimenting with props. I logged performance with a few different props including OEM 3 blade, Powertech 3 blade and 4 blade. I made adjustment to the height of the outboard and have finally come to a "sweet spot".

The log recorded rpm, mph, gph, mpg and prop slip with each recording.

I'm pushing 2.65 MPG on flat water trimmed with a normal load. Not sure what I'm getting offshore in some slop. I've been laid up a while...

However, I ran the SE Sport 400 High Performance Hydrofoil and actually lost speed, lost low end grunt, lost top end and lost fuel economy. And I tried each prop with and without the foil.

I'm probably never going to stop seeking the best performance I can get and will be trying a different 4 blade once I get up and going again.

I'm interested in what BMS has to say, but I'm very hesitant to drill holes in my outboard.

Any update?

I sent him another follow up letter, this is a busy season here in Florida with the various Marine trade shows and Mega Boat shows going on, so I suspect Steve is pretty busy... I am sure as soon as he surfaces for air he will give us his advise on this one :D

Hey there, yes, we are at the Ft Lauderdale boat show this week (for anyone down there! wink wink), but yes, we have lots of people running these plates on larger bayboats. We have a 24 action craft here we run with a 225 hpdi, but lots of customers using with 250s/300/etc and no problems. You will have a better hole shot, stay on plane at slower speeds, and reduce prop slip, great units! No problem with drilling the 4 small holes.

You can also take advantage of your Bobs jack plate if you have one with these, run the plate a bit higher than without one. If I can help you further, I am always available at Steven AT bobsmachine.com as well! Thanks all

Thanks for keeping this info request alive.

Thank you!! I'm mostly concerned about drilling holes, spending whatever it costs and not getting the performance I'm looking for. So, thank you. You're making it easier to decide....

I'm a deep V offshore boat. Not a bay boat. Are there others that have put one of these things on a deep V? I'm rarely on flat water. Normally I'm on lumpy water, and sometimes, when I've decided enough is enough, I have to run 20 miles home on deteriorating conditions. My concern is the functionality of this device on a deep-V in bad conditions and what the risks are to applying it to my 250 in those rough waters.

I appreciate your experience and concerns.

Back