Installing a dive ladder on a 210 CC

J

Jim Raines

I just bought a new (used) 2005 Triumph 210 CC and needed a dive ladder. I plan on using this boat for diving about 95%, and I really have to wonder why the manufacturer doesn't install a quality bracket or dive ladder from the factory. I mean this boat is made for diving....weights, tanks, spear guns, all kinds of gear that typically mark up & scratch fiberglass and don't touch these boats. Anyway....

I ordered an Armstrong removeable single beam ladder off the internet and paid about $188.00 for the ladder & bracketS. It's perfect for diving because you can actually step on the first step with your fins on and then get them off and get into the boat from there.

I did as much research about the hull, ladders and they ropelene product itself, including talking to the factory and visiting the local plastics supplies, both were helpful.

The ladder comes with a backing plate & 4 stainless steel bolts (too short). The backing plate is very strong but I think it's too small for this boat - it's about 2 X 3 inches. I located a good position to mount the bracket - making sure I would miss the trim tabs and not interfere with the outboard on turns. I then drill four holes above the back compartment - on the port side, using the backing bracket for a hole guide - NOT all the way through. I then drilled one hole all the way through and then used the ladder bracket for a template to drill the remaining three holes, so even though they mady not be absolutely perfectly straight through the transom, they WILL line up with the brackets.

Initially I installed the ladder with the small stainless steel ladder bracket and backing plate. I tested the ladder and found too much GIVE to both the inside and outside of the transom hulls. I removed the brackets and cut two additional plates out of 1/2 inch starboard about 6" X 6". I drilled these so they would match the holes and then got some longer bolts (8" carriage bolts - stainless from Lowes). These bolts had to be trimmed about 3/8" but they seem to be working fine. These two 6" X 6" backing plates radically spread the load out and the ladder became very stable with little or no flex in the transome hulls. I took everything apart again and reinstalled the brackets while sealing everything with elastomeric and using nylox nuts. It now seems to be perfect. I'll attempt to include some pictures. and would welcome any questions. If I can't include the images just email me and I'll send them to anyone that wants them: raines_j@sbcglobal.net

I've also found that with scuba, using a BC with intergrated weights, it's better to take the BC off in the water, attach it to a drop line, and then get in the boat and bring the gear over the gunwale. This takes about 50 to 60 pounds off of the ladder when entering the boat. Exiting the boat is just over the side, with or without gear on, you can always don the gear in the water - it's easy.

I also made my own cover for the boat - saved about $800, I'll write about that later.

Enjoy & Dive Safely,
Jim

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg